Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Background

I have an app that I am trying to start via iex -S mix, but I am unable to.

Error

Upon running the previous command I get the following error:

** (Mix) Could not start application logger: Logger.App.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: Logger.BackendSupervisor
    ** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
        ** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, {{{:case_clause, {:EXIT, {:undef, [{LoggerFileBackend, :init, [{LoggerFileBackend, :deals_logger}], []}, {:gen_event, :server_add_handler, 4, [file: 'gen_event.erl', line: 473]}, {:gen_event, :handle_msg, 6, [file: 'gen_event.erl', line: 318]}, {:proc_lib, :init_p_do_apply, 3, [file: 'proc_lib.erl', line: 249]}]}}}, [{Logger.Watcher, :init, 1, [file: 'lib/logger/watcher.ex', line: 28]}, {:gen_server, :init_it, 2, [file: 'gen_server.erl', line: 374]}, {:gen_server, :init_it, 6, [file: 'gen_server.erl', line: 342]}, {:proc_lib, :init_p_do_apply, 3, [file: 'proc_lib.erl', line: 249]}]}, {:child, :undefined, {LoggerFileBackend, :deals_logger}, {Logger.Watcher, :start_link, [{Logger, {LoggerFileBackend, :deals_logger}, {LoggerFileBackend, :deals_logger}}]}, :transient, 5000, :worker, [Logger.Watcher]}}}
            (logger) lib/logger/backend_supervisor.ex:14: anonymous fn/2 in Logger.BackendSupervisor.start_link/1
            (elixir) lib/enum.ex:1940: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
            (logger) lib/logger/backend_supervisor.ex:13: Logger.BackendSupervisor.start_link/1
            (stdlib) supervisor.erl:379: :supervisor.do_start_child_i/3
            (stdlib) supervisor.erl:365: :supervisor.do_start_child/2
            (stdlib) supervisor.erl:349: anonymous fn/3 in :supervisor.start_children/2
            (stdlib) supervisor.erl:1157: :supervisor.children_map/4
            (stdlib) supervisor.erl:315: :supervisor.init_children/2
            (stdlib) gen_server.erl:374: :gen_server.init_it/2
            (stdlib) gen_server.erl:342: :gen_server.init_it/6
            (stdlib) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

My project has several dependencies, some of them from private git repositories that also use logger, but I never had this issue and I added logger to the extra_applications part of the mix.exs file.

extra_applications: [:logger, :runtime_tools, :some_app]

Versions:

elixir 1.8.1-otp-21
erlang 21.2

What could be causing this?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

NobbZ

NobbZ

This is not part of the regular :logger application. Perhaps you are missing :logger_file_backend in your list of dependencies? Or you simply need to remove that backend from your configuration.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

I have also improved the error in master. For an invalid backend OMG, it will now say:

** (Mix) Could not start application logger: Logger.App.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: Logger.BackendSupervisor
    ** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
        ** (RuntimeError) EXIT when installing backend OMG: an exception was raised:
    ** (UndefinedFunctionError) function OMG.init/1 is undefined (module OMG is not available)
        OMG.init(OMG)
        (stdlib) gen_event.erl:473: :gen_event.server_add_handler/4
        (stdlib) gen_event.erl:318: :gen_event.handle_msg/6
        (stdlib) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews