alexl

alexl

I try to use third party JS like Moment.js, I followed the guide.

So, I added import moment from 'moment'; to my app.js.
Moment is well added to app.js in static/assets/ but when I want to use it in Liveview template or layout with or without Alpine JS I have the Uncaught ReferenceError: moment is not defined.

When I use the CDN (<script src='URL' />) in the layout it works well, but not with npm packages…

Thanks for your help

Showing Posts 1 to 4

sfusato

sfusato

How are you trying to use it? Can you show some examples?

I can only assume that when you add it directly via the script tag, the library attaches itself to the window object, thus why it works. In your app.js, add it as a global variable: window.moment = moment;

alexl

alexl OP

In my root layout I have:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
  <head>
    <meta charset="utf-8"/>
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge"/>
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"/>
    <%= csrf_meta_tag() %>
    <%= live_title_tag assigns[:page_title] %>
    <link phx-track-static rel="stylesheet" href={Routes.static_path(@conn, "/assets/app.css")}/>
    <script defer phx-track-static type="text/javascript" src={Routes.static_path(@conn, "/assets/app.js")}></script>
  </head>
  <body>
    <div class="min-h-full">
        <script>
        console.log(window.moment())
        </script>
        <main class="flex-1">
          <%= @inner_content %>
        </main>
    </div>
  </body>
</html>

and in app.js

import moment from 'moment';

window.moment = moment;

When I load my page I have Uncaught TypeError: window.moment is not a function

I tried with console.log(window.moment) but it prints undefined

bartblast

bartblast

Creator of Hologram

When you use window.moment in the inline script, the app.js probably hasn’t loaded yet. So you need to use document.readyState or DOMContentLoaded event to make sure that the scripts have been loaded first.

alexl

alexl OP

Thanks, it was an initialization problem :smiling_face:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews