kwando

kwando

I’ve installed a lot of updates on my machine, both from brew and the App Store and I probably broke something. When I create a new Phoenix (1.3.0) app with “mix phx.new ” and run it I get the following error in the console:

[error] exited in: GenServer.call(:phoenix_live_reload_file_monitor, :subscribe, 5000)
    ** (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its applicat
ion isn't started

Anyone got an idea on what I should do to rectify this?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

The term mac_listener you used in your topic is not contained in the error message. Did you copied it only partially?

Aside of that, does the problem persist when you disable live reload?

kwando

kwando OP

Nvm, I fixed this right now.

I got a new version of X-Code installed and I forgot to accept the updated license. If the license is not accepted the tools in it cannot be used. This made the file_system package (dependency of phoenix_live_reload) fail to compile the native stuff it needs to compile in order to detect changes to the file system.

Anyway, accepting the license and mix deps.clean --all && mix deps.compile made this error disappear and everything works again.

10
Post #2
kwando

kwando OP

@NobbZ

$ mix phx.server
[error] Can't find executable `mac_listener`
[info] Running TrackWeb.Endpoint with Cowboy using http://0.0.0.0:4000
21:23:28 - info: compiled 6 files into 2 files, copied 3 in 1.2 sec
[error] exited in: GenServer.call(:phoenix_live_reload_file_monitor, :subscribe, 5000)
    ** (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its applicat
ion isn't started
```
josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

@kwando did you at least get a better error when compiling the code?

In any case, I have pushed a new phoenix_live_reload that improves the error messages and gets rid of the “** (EXIT)” message altogether. Thanks!

gckr

gckr

I have plenty of the errors too, in all my projects:

[error] exited in: GenServer.call(:phoenix_live_reload_file_monitor, :subscribe, 5000)
    ** (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its application isn't started

with the latest version of phoenix_live_reload_file_monitor

NobbZ

NobbZ

@kwando said, he had updated his XCode and to accept a license, perhaps you missed this step. Then he had to purge and recompile his dependencies. Just try it yourself. rm -rf deps _build; mix do deps.get, deps.compile.

gckr

gckr

already removed and recompiled
I’m on linux

NobbZ

NobbZ

Then you need to install inotify-tools. I’m wondering though, why its asking for mac_listener then…

richjdsmith

richjdsmith

I ran into this issue this afternoon after having updated my operating system.

For those that stumble onto this thread, running xcode-select --install, accepting the new license agreement and then just running mix deps.compile file_system worked for me.

rocky

rocky

It doesn’t work for me…
I have done everything told :

  • uninstall Xcode
  • remove Command Line Tools
  • mix deps.clean --all && rm -rf _build deps
  • reinstall Xcode
  • run xcode-select --install, accept the license agreement
  • reboot
  • run mix deps.get && mix deps.compile file_system
    and stil doesn’t work.

I even try to

  • locate /CoreServices.h
  • export CFLAGS="-isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/usr/include"
    and stil doesn’t work.

I always have this error

14:13:05.389 [info]  Compiling file system watcher for Mac...
==> file_system
c_src/mac/cli.c:1:10: fatal error: 'getopt.h' file not found
#include <getopt.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
In file included from c_src/mac/compat.c:1:
c_src/mac/compat.h:16:10: fatal error: 'CoreServices/CoreServices.h' file not found
#include <CoreServices/CoreServices.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.
In file included from c_src/mac/main.c:1:
c_src/mac/common.h:4:10: fatal error: 'CoreFoundation/CoreFoundation.h' file not found
#include <CoreFoundation/CoreFoundation.h>
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.

14:13:05.528 [error] Could not compile file system watcher for Mac, try to run "clang -framework CoreFoundation -framework CoreServices -Wno-deprecated-declarations c_src/mac/*.c -o priv/mac_listener" manually inside the dependnecy.
...
[info] Replied phoenix:live_reload :error
[info] Replied phoenix:live_reload :error
[info] Replied phoenix:live_reload :error
...

It’s very annoying…
I event tried the recommended clang command from this error message inside deps/file_system and still doesn’t work.

I have
MacOS Mojave 10.14.4
Xcode Version 10.2.1 (10E1001)
xcode-select version 2354
Erlang/OTP 21 from Homebrew
Elixir 1.8.1 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 21) from Homebrew
Phoenix ~>1.4.0
Phoenix_live_reload ~>1.2
file_system 0.2.6

Anyone can help me?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews