JasterV

JasterV

I have a :gen_statem implementation that I want to start via a registry like this:

defmodule Arca.PodImpl do
  @moduledoc false

  @behaviour :gen_statem

  def start_link(opts) do
    cell_ref = Keyword.get(opts, :cell_ref)

    case cell_ref do
      nil ->
        {:error, "option 'cell_ref' is required to start the Pod"}

      cell_ref ->
        :gen_statem.start_link(__MODULE__, opts, name: via_registry(cell_ref))
    end
  end
end

  defp via_registry(cell_ref) do
    {:via, Registry, {Arca.Registry, {__MODULE__, cell_ref}}}
  end

The first problem is that I can’t start this module under a supervision tree because :gen_statem doesn’t implement child_spec. So then I have to implement the child_spec myself:

  # This is not automatically implemented by the gen_statem behaviour
  def child_spec(opts) do
    %{
      id: __MODULE__,
      start: {__MODULE__, :start_link, [opts]}
    }
  end

So I end up with a module like this:

defmodule Arca.PodImpl do
  @moduledoc false

  def start_link(opts) do
    cell_ref = Keyword.get(opts, :cell_ref)

    case cell_ref do
      nil ->
        {:error, "option 'cell_ref' is required to start the Pod"}

      cell_ref ->
        :gen_statem.start_link(__MODULE__, opts, name: via_registry(cell_ref))
    end
  end

  # This is not automatically implemented by the gen_statem behaviour
  def child_spec(opts) do
    %{
      id: __MODULE__,
      start: {__MODULE__, :start_link, [opts]}
    }
  end

  @impl true
  def lock(ref), do: :gen_statem.cast(via_registry(ref), :lock)

  @impl true
  def unlock(ref), do: :gen_statem.cast(via_registry(ref), :unlock)

  @impl true
  def get_state(ref), do: :gen_statem.call(via_registry(ref), :get_state)

  defp via_registry(cell_ref) do
    {:via, Registry, {Arca.Registry, {__MODULE__, cell_ref}}}
  end
end

For context, this is how I define my application children:

  def children(_target, _env) do
    [
      {Registry, keys: :unique, name: Arca.Registry},
      {Arca.PodImpl, cell_ref: "A1", lights_range: 75..95},
      {Arca.PodImpl, cell_ref: "A2", lights_range: 61..73},
      {Arca.PodImpl, cell_ref: "A3", lights_range: 20..58}
    ]
  end

Now, the main problem is that the PodImpl process seems to not be registered on my registry.

So when I start my application, the PodImpl modules seem to be linked to the main supervisor (makes sense) but when I query the Registry there are no registered processes.

So when I try to call PodImpl.get_state("A1") it returns an error saying that there is no process with that name (the one constructed by the via_registry private function)

I hope someone can help me understand what is going on.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

jswanner

jswanner

The docs for start_link/3 state:

Equivalent to start_link/4 except that the gen_statem process is not registered with any name service.

I’m pretty sure you want:

:gen_statem.start_link(via_registry(cell_ref), __MODULE__, opts, [])
JasterV

JasterV OP

That solves it, thank you so much!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews