ZastrixArundell

ZastrixArundell

I am adding user Authentication to my webapp and for some reason I am having issues and really don’t know how to solve it (I don’t know if it’s an error on my side or a bug).

(Just as an heads up, I am using windows and I have nmake installed)

I try to add comeonin and Bcrypt like so:

     {:comeonin, "~> 5.0"},
     {:bcrypt_elixir, "~> 2.0"}

Then I do mix deps,get and mix deps.compile bcrypt_elixir, which works completely well and I don’t get any errors.

When I do mix phoenix.server I get the following warning (I am using hash_pwd_salt/1):

warning: function Comeonin.Bcrypt.hash_pwd_salt/1 is undefined or private. Did you mean one of:

      * hashpwsalt/1
      * hashpwsalt/2

If I try using hashpwsalt/1 I get:

** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (ArgumentError) Comeonin.Bcrypt.hashpwsalt has been removed.
Add {:bcrypt_elixir, "~> 2.0"} to the deps in your mix.exs file,
and use Bcrypt.hash_pwd_salt instead.

        lib/comeonin/base.ex:32: Comeonin.Bcrypt.error/2
        (ecto) lib/ecto/changeset.ex:1004: Ecto.Changeset.update_change/3
        (dealmailer) web/controllers/user_controller.ex:12: Dealmailer.UserController.create/2
        (dealmailer) web/controllers/user_controller.ex:1: Dealmailer.UserController.action/2
        (dealmailer) web/controllers/user_controller.ex:1: Dealmailer.UserController.phoenix_controller_pipeline/2
        (dealmailer) lib/dealmailer/endpoint.ex:1: Dealmailer.Endpoint.instrument/4
        (dealmailer) lib/phoenix/router.ex:261: Dealmailer.Router.dispatch/2
        (dealmailer) web/router.ex:1: Dealmailer.Router.do_call/2
        (dealmailer) lib/dealmailer/endpoint.ex:1: Dealmailer.Endpoint.phoenix_pipeline/1
        (dealmailer) lib/plug/debugger.ex:123: Dealmailer.Endpoint."call (overridable 3)"/2
        (dealmailer) lib/dealmailer/endpoint.ex:1: Dealmailer.Endpoint.call/2
        (plug) lib/plug/adapters/cowboy/handler.ex:15: Plug.Adapters.Cowboy.Handler.upgrade/4
        (cowboy) c:/Users/Zastrix/Documents/Phoenix/dealmailer-phoenix/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_protocol.erl:442: :cowboy_protocol.execute/4

Then I try to downgrade my versions:

     {:comeonin, "~> 4.0"},
     {:bcrypt_elixir, "~> 1.0"}

And I get the dependencies and compile, everything is okay. I don’t get warnings in console when I start the app but when I do actually run it… I get this again (I am using hashpwsalt/1 here)

** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (ArgumentError) Comeonin.Bcrypt.hashpwsalt has been removed.
Add {:bcrypt_elixir, "~> 2.0"} to the deps in your mix.exs file,
and use Bcrypt.hash_pwd_salt instead.

        lib/comeonin/base.ex:32: Comeonin.Bcrypt.error/2
        (ecto) lib/ecto/changeset.ex:1004: Ecto.Changeset.update_change/3
        (dealmailer) web/controllers/user_controller.ex:12: Dealmailer.UserController.create/2
        (dealmailer) web/controllers/user_controller.ex:1: Dealmailer.UserController.action/2
        (dealmailer) web/controllers/user_controller.ex:1: Dealmailer.UserController.phoenix_controller_pipeline/2
        (dealmailer) lib/dealmailer/endpoint.ex:1: Dealmailer.Endpoint.instrument/4
        (dealmailer) lib/phoenix/router.ex:261: Dealmailer.Router.dispatch/2
        (dealmailer) web/router.ex:1: Dealmailer.Router.do_call/2
        (dealmailer) lib/dealmailer/endpoint.ex:1: Dealmailer.Endpoint.phoenix_pipeline/1
        (dealmailer) lib/plug/debugger.ex:123: Dealmailer.Endpoint."call (overridable 3)"/2
        (dealmailer) lib/dealmailer/endpoint.ex:1: Dealmailer.Endpoint.call/2
        (plug) lib/plug/adapters/cowboy/handler.ex:15: Plug.Adapters.Cowboy.Handler.upgrade/4
        (cowboy) c:/Users/Zastrix/Documents/Phoenix/dealmailer-phoenix/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_protocol.erl:442: :cowboy_protocol.execute/4

Showing Posts 1 to 6

wolfiton

wolfiton

Hi,

Can you update your bcrypt to use {bcrypt, "~> 2.0.3"},

Also have a look at the docs Bcrypt — bcrypt_elixir v3.3.2

Can you also share the file where you use bcrypt to register the users?

wolfiton

wolfiton

Also wouldn’t the function to hash and add a salt, be this hash_pwd_salt/2?

ZastrixArundell

ZastrixArundell OP

Looks like I fixed the issue. It wasn’t a bug from compiling like I thought. I used this tutorial where I need to alias this:

alias Comeonin.Bcrypt

Now when I read the Bcrypt example docs, it looked like that Bcrypt didn’t really need this alias in order to work. I tested it out and lo and behold I didn’t get an error.

I guess that I tried to alias a module which didn’t really exist or was not the one correct to use so my app didn’t really manage to find it, but it worked without the alias.

ezkemboi

ezkemboi

When using using

{:comeonin, "~> 5.0"},
     {:bcrypt_elixir, "~> 2.1"}

the best way to encrypt password is using

Bcrypt.Base.hash_password(password, Bcrypt.gen_salt(12, true))

For more information Check Bcrypt Docs

bnymn

bnymn

As far as I understand, we don’t really need to use comeonin. It seems like that bcrypt_elixir does all the work. Is that correct?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Yes and no. comeonin still holds the behaviour all the concrete packages implement. It’s a dependency of all of them. If you depend on the behaviour of comeonin and not just a single concrete implementation I feels it’s still good to list comeonin as explicit dependency. Because switching to another password hashing package does not change your dependency on the common interface.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews