water

water

I’m trying to build a Liveview with 2 parts:

  • top:
    • switch button: camera / hardware scanner
      • show camera scanner
      • or empty
  • bottom:
    • scan history table from db with pubsub: statistics, colors, time,..

When the hardware scanner is used and a scan is made, a sequence of characters is send ending with an Enter-key.

defmodule HelloWeb.ScanLive do
  use HelloWeb, :live_view


  def render(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <div phx-window-keyup="scanner">
    </div>
    """
  end

  def handle_event("scanner", key, socket) do
    IO.inspect(key)
    {:noreply, socket}
  end
end

Is this the proper way to do this in Phoenix Liveview using handle_event with keyup?
Can you capture a sequence+Enter at once or do you have to capture separately and build it up.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

mcrumm

mcrumm

Phoenix Core Team

If you want to capture each key individually, yes.

This requires a form input. I am curious why specifically you wish to avoid this. I can give you a working example (using an ancient Symbol LS1900 barcode scanner to demonstrate :slight_smile: ):

Here’s the code:

defmodule HelloWeb.ScanLive do
  use HelloWeb, :live_view

  def render(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <form id="form" phx-submit={JS.push("capture") |> JS.push_focus(to: "#input")}>
      <input
        id="input"
        data-count={@count}
        type="text"
        name="code"
        autofocus
        phx-debounce="blur"
        placeholder="Scan barcode..."
        value=""
        class="w-full"
      />
      <button class="hidden" type="submit">Submit</button>
    </form>

    <ul>
      <li :for={code <- @codes}><%= code %></li>
    </ul>
    """
  end

  def mount(_, _, socket) do
    socket = socket |> assign(:count, 0) |> assign(:codes, [])
    {:ok, socket}
  end

  def handle_event("capture", %{"code" => code}, socket) do
    IO.inspect(code)

    socket =
      socket
      |> update(:count, &(&1 + 1))
      |> update(:codes, &[code | &1])

    {:noreply, socket}
  end
end

Usually there are (at least) two tricky parts. The first is clearing and re-focusing the input after the form submits. You can use a combination of JS.push() and JS.push_focus() to submit the form and re-focus the input. To ensure the input is cleared after submit, you need to force the input to re-render. In this case I am setting a data-count attribute and incrementing the count on each submit. This will force LiveView to re-render the input with the empty value provided on the element.

The other tricky part is that barcode scanners don’t always send an Enter key as a suffix. I left the phx-debounce="blur" on the input because you will definitely want that if you try to add a phx-change event to the form. Since LiveView won’t re-render focused inputs on change, you would probably want to push an event from the server and use it to reset the input value.

pdgonzalez872

pdgonzalez872

that’s so cool!

water

water OP

Thank you. I’ve tried similar with a form & changeset & onfocus: "this.value=''"'to reset the value. Your code is much cleaner though.

I have currently 2 reasons. I’m testing with an android phone with 2d scanner (Blovedream U9000)

  • When the focus is on the input the software keyboard keeps popping up. I though when there is no input, there would be no software keyboard filling half the screen.
    Edit: Adding inputmode="none" to input fixes this.

  • When the user clicks outside the input, the focus is lost. Scans are not captured until you refocus on the input.

Edit:
I’ve also added autocomplete="off" to input

Norman56

Norman56

For capturing a sequence+Enter at once, I’m not sure if that’s possible. It might be easier to capture the sequence and then add the Enter key as a separate event.
Regarding your issue with the software keyboard popping up, adding inputmode=“none” to the input should fix that.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews