fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I think I’ve been staring at pattern matches so long I’ve started to go blind. What I’d like to do is to inspect the code point for a character and then concatenate the character onto an accumulator.

iex> acc = ""
iex> <<x::utf8, rest::binary>> = "über"
iex> x
252  # <-- the code point
iex> acc <> <<x>>  # <-- how to concatenate the ü ?
<<252>>  
iex> acc == "ü"
false   # nope.

It’s like I need the opposite of the ? where I can convert a code point into a binary. Can someone illuminate me while I soak my head in coffee? Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

This works, but I’m wondering if there’s a better way?

iex> acc <> to_string([x])
josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir
iex(1)> acc = ""
""
iex(2)> <<x::utf8, rest::binary>> = "über"
"über"
iex(3)>  x
252
iex(4)> acc = acc <> <<x::utf8>>
"ü"
iex(5)> acc == "ü"
true
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews