maltoe

maltoe

Hello!

Came here to announce Carbonite, a data auditing library for Ecto/PostgreSQL.

In essence, Carbonite wraps an elaborate audit trigger function in some Elixir code to make it readily available in Elixir applications. A little bit of extra API allows convenient access to the audit logs. Its distinctive property, however, is its use of the database transaction as a natural “bracket” around tracked data changes. This bracket is enforced by an association between the change records and a central transactions table, where the foreign key is Postgres’ internal transaction id. The transactions table carries additional operation metadata (like the current user id).

It’s easier to see for yourself: Github, Docs

Carbonite is still very much work-in-progress. We’re currently collecting our first experiences with it, and are still changing the API around as we go. Still, any early feedback and thoughts are appreciated!

Let me know what you think!

Best,
malte

Showing Posts 1 to 4

ion

ion

nice! any plans to support other DB adapters, or is it strictly postgres?

maltoe

maltoe OP

No plans, but would be open to contributions. Though it’s relying heavily on Postgres’ internal 64-bit transaction id, not sure whether there are equivalent things in other RDBMS. So for now, it’s Postgres-only.

brightball

brightball

Fantastic! I’ve debating building something just like that for years.

I always hated the rails style approaches where it only tracked changes if made by a specific object in a specific library that made sure not to use any group update functions.

cpgo

cpgo

I hear you. Just had to work around this last week.
Had to work on a pretty big collection so ActiveRecord’s update_all was perfect for the job. But then I had to manually implement the audit because our current solution relies on the AR callbacks.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews