kevinlang

kevinlang

Hey all,

I created a library that allows you to easily process your content or data files at compile time, Catalog. It works off of the same root idea as NimblePublisher, but expanded a bit to work with a wider array of use cases.

Check out the docs!

Check out the code!

Example

For those not familiar with the approach, it is commonly used for something like storing blog posts in your Elixir project. For example, if your posts are located in the posts/ directory:

defmodule MyApp.Catalog
  use Catalog

  markdown(:posts, "posts/**.md")

  def all_posts(), do: @posts
end

The markdown macro processes all markdown files in the specified glob path by processing any frontmatter and transforming the markdown into html. You then have a simple API in your project for retrieving that in-memory processed representation of your file. So if you have a single file, hello.md, that contains:

+++
author = "Kevin Lang"
title = "Hello World"
date: 2021-08-19
+++
This is a markdown *document*.

Then the @posts attribute will have the following value:

[%{
  content: "<p>\nThis is a markdown <em>document</em>.</p>\n"
  frontmatter: %{
    author: "Kevin Lang",
    title: "Hello World",
    date: ~D[2021-08-19]
  },
  path: "posts/hello.md"
}]

Features

Some key advantages over NimblePublisher:

  • supports YAML, TOML, and Elixir-code frontmatter
  • supports using multiple times per module, instead of once per module
  • supports JSON, TOML, YAML, CSV, FILE (text/html), MARKDOWN file types

I hope to use this in a static site generator in Elixir I’m working on. I hope it is useful to others too.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews