gmile

gmile

I am on this host in CircleCI, debugging a failing Elixir code. The code fails to make an API request to Stripe. Particularly, the HTTP library fails to verify the certificate of the requested host. The HTTP client in use is hackney. The error I am getting is this one:

16:25:45.892 [info] TLS :client: In state :certify at ssl_handshake.erl:1950 generated CLIENT ALERT: Fatal - Unknown CA

In pursue to answer a question “well, what would be the CAs the system knows about”? I got down to this – a call to the following function returns an empty list:

:certifi.cacerts()
# => []

After studying the contents of the function on GitHub, I see that it reads the contents of a file containing certificates. That file exists on the file system, and indeed it contains certificates:

/home/circleci/project/_build/test/lib/certifi/priv/cacerts.pem

Running a somewhat equivalent Elixir code on this host will read the certificate bytes into memory just fine:

:public_key.pem_decode(File.read!(:certifi.cacertfile())) |> Enum.map(& elem(&1, 1)) |> Enum.reverse()

I am now puzzled as to why :certify would not return a list of certificates.

I find myself unable to dig deeper, as it appears that the contents of the function is changed during the compilation time using parse_transform, specifically using using ct_expand.

Digging into parse_transform, I see that there’s a way to get details about the kind of transform performed by enabling tracing:

A debugging facility exists: passing the option {ct_expand_trace, Flags} as an option,
or adding a compiler attribute -ct_expand_trace(Flags) will enable a form of call trace.

Flags' can be ’ (no trace) or [F]', where F’ is c' (call trace), r’ (return trace), or `x’ (exception trace)'.

Would someone please assist me in understanding how to enable the tracing exactly? Do I need to modify a file in :certifi somewhere (which I can totally afford to do), or pass a compiler option in command line to iex/elixir/elixirc somehow?

I am able to reliable reproduce this very issue by entering iex -S mix shell, and calling a dummy function Stripe.PaymentIntent.create(%{}).

Trivia:

  • elixir version: 1.11.4 (released several hours ago)
  • erlang version: 23.0 (erts-11.1)
  • hackney version: 1.17.0
  • certifi version: 2.5.3

Showing Posts 1 to 8

gmile

gmile OP

Running the following code in CircleCI containers for Elixir 1.11.3 and 1.11.4 depicts the issue:

mix local.rebar --force
wget -qO- https://github.com/certifi/erlang-certifi/archive/2.5.3.tar.gz | tar xvz
cd erlang-certifi-2.5.3
~/.mix/rebar3 compile
elixir -pa _build/default/lib/certifi/ebin -e "IO.inspect(:certifi.cacerts())"

Container with elixir 1.11.3 & rebar 3.13.1:

docker run -it cimg/elixir:1.11.3 sh -c 'mix local.rebar --force; wget -qO- https://github.com/certifi/erlang-certifi/archive/2.5.3.tar.gz | tar xvz; cd erlang-certifi-2.5.3; ~/.mix/rebar3 compile; elixir -pa _build/default/lib/certifi/ebin -e "IO.inspect(:certifi.cacerts())"'
# a list of binaries, suppressed for brevity

Container with elixir 1.11.4 & rebar 3.14.4:

docker run -it cimg/elixir:1.11.4 sh -c 'mix local.rebar --force; wget -qO- https://github.com/certifi/erlang-certifi/archive/2.5.3.tar.gz | tar xvz; cd erlang-certifi-2.5.3; ~/.mix/rebar3 compile; elixir -pa _build/default/lib/certifi/ebin -e "IO.inspect(:certifi.cacerts())"'
# => []

cimg/elixir is an image maintained by CircleCI, available here: cimg/elixir - Docker Image.

gmile

gmile OP

In the 1.11.4 container, upgraded parse_trans (the only dependency of certifi) to 3.4.0. No luck, same result – empty list of certificates.

kemiller

kemiller

Having a very similar issue with the latests docker image. Following.

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Have you tried the latest version of Hackney and Certifi?

Certifi 2.6.1 was released today:

Erlang Certifi 2.6.1, providing SSL Mozilla CA bundles to your application has been released with updated certificates and compatibility with OTP >= 23.

And Hackney 1.17.2 was also released today:

  • use parse_trans 3.3.1 only (fix compatibility with Erlang < 21)
  • bump certifi version
  • Allow merging of SSL opts

From: hackney/NEWS.md at master · benoitc/hackney · GitHub

They seem potentially related. Also I would upgrade from Erlang 23.0 to 23.2 although that probably won’t help this problem.

bram209

bram209

Thanks, I had a similar issue, after upgrading Certifi and Hackney to the latest versions (2.6.1 & 1.17.2) the issue seems to be resolved!

gmile

gmile OP

@axelson thank you! Versions you mention were not available at the time of me testing. We’ve upgraded, all good now :slight_smile:

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

I’m glad it’s all sorted! Yeah I noticed the release announcements yesterday so I thought they might be related to the issue you ran into.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews