Change default timestamp type?

I’d like all of the schemas in my project to use timestamps(type: :utc_datetime) but I would prefer for developers to not need to remember to do that every time. Is there a good way to change the project’s defaults so using the regular timestamps() defaults to :utc_datetime type?

:wave:

Yes!

Check out @timestamps_opts at https://hexdocs.pm/ecto/Ecto.Schema.html#module-schema-attributes

:wave:

Is there a good way to change the project’s defaults so using the regular timestamps() defaults to :utc_datetime type?

Yes!

You can to define a custom YourApp.Schema module that would export a using macro which would use Ecto.Schema and then configure the schema attributes.

defmodule YourApp.Schema do
  defmacro __using__(_opts) do
    quote do
      use Ecto.Schema
      @timestamps_opts [type: :utc_datetime]
    end
  end
end

and then in your schemas

defmodule YourApp.Resource do
  use YourApp.Schema

schema "resources" do
    # ...
  end
end
4 Likes

Thanks @idi527 ! I think that will work well, I’ll try it out.

Stumbled over this old topic and wanted to mention how easy it is to customize the generators. So for the schema you’d just mkdir -p priv/templates/phx.gen.schema && cp deps/phoenix/priv/templates/phx.gen.schema/schema.ex priv/templates/phx.gen.schema then edit your personal copy of the schema to include the @timestamp_opts that you want (or use the module you wrote). Voila, all new schemas you generate will now have your custom addition.

4 Likes