Sardoan

Sardoan

Hi,
I have this structure:

[%{"next" => "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=4"},
%{"prev" => "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=2"},
%{"first" => "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=1"},
%{"last" => "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=5"}]

With Poison.encode! I get following:

"[{\"next\":\"http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=4\"},
{\"prev\":\"http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=2\"},
{\"first\":\"http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=1\"},
{\"last\":\"http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=5\"}]"

After parsing in JS with JSON.parse I recieve an array with 4 fields. What I need is a simple struct without an array, so I can access it in JS via struct.next, sruct.prev …

How can I transform the keyword list to a struct, which gives me the JSON I need?
Any idea?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

NobbZ

NobbZ

Which keywordlist? I only see a list of maps. And how should the struct look like?

What is the JSON you need?

Can you post an example JSON how it should look like?

Sardoan

Sardoan OP

Oh, thought [{:a, 1}, {:b, 2}] is a keyword list. But right, I have maps, aiiii.

The JSON I would like to get should look this way:

{
  "next":"http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=4",
  "prev":"http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=2",
  "first":"http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=1",
  "last":"http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=5"
}
NobbZ

NobbZ

From a map:

%{
  "next" => "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=4",
  "prev" => "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=2",
  "first" => "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=1",
  "last" => "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=5"
}

That should totally do it.

Of course you can also create a proper struct and implement Poison.Encoder and Poison.Decoder as needed, if that is necessary or not, you need to decide by yourself.

But encoding a keyword list isn’t possible, AFAIK, as poison always tries to make an elixir list a JSON array.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

For your example Enum.reduce(list, &Map.merge/2) should work, but I’d first consider why you’re having that list in the first place.

Sardoan

Sardoan OP

Hmmm, so I have to rewrite the code I am using. Thought I could transform the list, so Poison.encode could work.

Thanks,
will change my code to give me the structure I need.

NobbZ

NobbZ

You can transform the list, as shown by @LostKobrakai, but you really should consider using a map on the elixir side from the beginning.

A list of maps, one key each feels wrong, especially when you say, that you consider this a single entity at the other end of the application.

Sardoan

Sardoan OP

Yep, think this is not the best idea. Will change the code.

Edit: Changed it now to a simple map, was not that difficult as I thought. Tank you both for your answers :slight_smile:

peerreynders

peerreynders

This was really the core issue because had they been tuples:

iex(1)> key_values = [
...(1)>   {"next","http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=4"},
...(1)>   {"prev","http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=2"},
...(1)>   {"first","http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=1"},
...(1)>   {"last","http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=5"}
...(1)> ]
[
  {"next", "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=4"},
  {"prev", "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=2"},
  {"first", "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=1"},
  {"last", "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=5"}
]
iex(2)> my_map = Map.new(key_values)
%{
  "first" => "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=1",
  "last" => "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=5",
  "next" => "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=4",
  "prev" => "http://www.example.com/test?foo=bar&page=2"
}
iex(3)>
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews