raytracer

raytracer

Hello,

Elixir noob here! I’ve started a small project to learn Elixir.

I have a map:

map = %{
  id: "100"
}

The id value is a string and it needs to be converted to an integer. However the id value may already be an integer and not need converting.

Therefore I wrote this:

map = if String.valid?(map.id) do
  x = String.to_integer(map.id)
  Map.put(map, :id, x)
else
  map
end

The above code works but looks ugly! Is there a better way?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

You can use a function and use pattern matching/guards to do this task:

def convert_id(%{id: id} = data) when is_binary(id), do: %{data | id: String.to_integer(id)}
def convert_id(%{id: id} = data) when is_integer(id), do: data

Or you can use Map.update!/3 with an anonymous function:

map = Map.update!(map, :id, fn
  id when is_binary(id) -> String.to_integer(id)
  id when is_integer(id) -> id
end)

Both approaches are untested and build in a way that they will crash when id is not parsable into an integer or already is an integer. Also both will crash when there is no key :id in the map.

But why does this happen at all? A much better approach were to build the system in a way that the id is always an integer.

digoio

digoio

if (map.id |> is_binary), do: map |> Map.replace!(:id,100)

NobbZ

NobbZ

This will not change map.

To make it actually change the value of map you need to assign the result like this:

map = if (map.id |> is_binary), do: map |> Map.replace!(:id,100)

But we do not have an else branch, so what happens when map.id is not binary? We’ll get nil into map, thats not quite the expectation. So we need to add , else: map to make that work as well.

Also I do not think, that piping gives anything here, in fact after adding the else branch, we get another set of parens that feels placed wrong. Since both involved pipes are single “staged” its more readable (in my opinion) to just apply the function.

digoio

digoio

Yeah, I’m a noob also and just punched that into iex. OK, how’s this?

map =  case (map.id |> is_binary) do
               true -> Map.replace!(map,:id,100)
               false -> map
            end
raytracer

raytracer OP

Yes, that sounds like the better approach. In this case, the id is an integer inside the system but provided as a string by a GraphQL query. The GraphQL query data is transformed into a struct, which is then used internally in the system. I’ve tried to write single to_struct(map = %{}) function that would take different shaped maps into account, rather than have the various bits of map transformation code spread over the place. Perhaps that needs to be rethought. Anyway, that’s just background.

Thanks for the guard example. That will be useful! :slight_smile:

NobbZ

NobbZ

Well, I’m not sure if this is better or worse than the ops original code, but at least I can tell you, that I dislike cases that match only on true and false and nothing else, you can use an if-expression there as well, which is often more readable.

Said that, I try to avoid ifs at all and try to use functions instead, because I can re-use the functions much easier and piping through function calls reads so much nicer than pipiing into and out of cond/case/if.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Perhaps you should repair your GraphQL schema then, such that the query gives you an integer? Or convert it at the earliest place you can imagine where you know for sure its a string. Usually that is where you receive and parse the query.

digoio

digoio

I’m still trying to get used to all the different ways of using pattern matching. That way of updating a map looks odd n not very intuitive (to those new to Elixir). Using the pipe to split a list into head|tail I got that right away, but not this…

%{data | id: 100}

To be honest that has been one of the difficult things to learn in Elixir syntax. All the different uses of the pipe and arrows pointing in different directions for different constructs.

raytracer

raytracer OP

That sounds better again! I’ll do some googling to figure out how to do that. (I’m a GraphQL noob too!)

raytracer

raytracer OP

Elm has similar syntax and so does Javascript with the spread syntax. But yeah, I’m still trying to get used to all the various pattern matching things as well. It’s quite different to my every day language, Delphi.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews