acke

acke

Changeset struct undefined

Hello everbody. I’m just getting started learning Phoenix and I’m trying to create a basic Github clone as a learning project. I got stuck on an issue regarding the changeset struct, and couldn’t fix my problem with some googling.

Problem

I’m following this tutorial to create the file uploading system. I’ve added one additional field (see the migration below), other than that I followed the tutorial pretty closely. I’m currently at the step where he is testing his module using the changeset function in IEX. I’ve tried the following in IEX:

iex -S mix
alias Gutter.Gits.Upload
%Upload{}

and get the following error:

Gutter.Gits.Upload.__struct__/1 is undefined, cannot expand struct Gutter.Gits.Upload. Make sure the struct name is correct. If the struct name exists and is correct but it still cannot be found, you likely have cyclic module usage in your code

This is my Gutter.Gits.Upload module, stored in a file named upload.ex

defmodule Gutter.Gits.Upload do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset

  schema "uploads" do
    field :size, :integer
    field :filename, :string
    field :hash, :string
    field :user_id, :string

    timestamps()
  end

  @doc false
  def changeset(upload, attrs) do
    upload
    |> cast(attrs, [:filename, :size, :hash, :user_id])
    |> validate_required([:filename, :size, :hash, :user_id])
    |> validate_number(:size, greater_than: 0)
    |> validate_length(:hash, is: 64)
    |> unique_constraint(:filename)
  end
end

The migration used to create the module:

defmodule Gutter.Repo.Migrations.CreateUploads do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def change do
    create table(:uploads) do
      add :filename, :string
      add :size, :bigint
      add :hash, :string, size: 64
      add :user_id, references(:users, on_delete: :delete_all), null: false

      timestamps()
    end
    create index(:uploads, [:hash])
  end
end

I feel that the error is pretty simple but can’t figure out what it is. From what I understand the struct name is correct, and I don’t think that I have any cyclical module usage since my program mostly contains generated code. Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 3

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hey @acke welcome! As a basic sanity check, can you tell us where the file you have defmodule Gutter.Gits.Upload do is located in your project? Does it have a .ex or a .exs extension?

acke

acke OP

Well, now I feel really stupid. I somehow got mixed up and was working in the wrong project directory, so it obviously didn’t work. I guess that goes to show the importance of basic sanity checks :smiley:. Thanks for the help!

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

We have all been there, no worries!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews