Newxan
Hi, I’m using waffle to upload files a s3 bucket. It’s been working well by I’ve decided I wan’t to change what names are used for the files. So i implement the filename/2 as follows:
# Override the persisted filenames:
def filename(version, {file, scope}) do
file_name = Path.basename(file.file_name, Path.extname(file.file_name))
"#{file_name}_#{version}_#{:os.system_time()}"
end
But now all my already uploaded files have incorrect references to them. Anyone know of a good way to do this, I guess I could just compare the files updated_at timestamp to see if it happend before or after the updated filename definition but I get the feeling I’m missing a more elegant solution.
Thanks in advance, any suggestions are appreciated ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
Not sure there’s an elegant solution per se. Maybe you should make a script that retroactively changes the filenames of all files who don’t conform to the new format yet.
tangui
You might be interested in this issue on Github: Support dynamic file naming.
Had the same problem recently, you can also make the change of filename by tweaking the changeset (see https://github.com/elixir-waffle/waffle_ecto/issues/13) However, Waffle automatically added file extension and I gave up with this solution. Using the underlying ExAws.S3 is actually not hard and gives more flexibility if you don’t need advanced Waffle features.
Newxan
Thanks for your suggestions!
After banging my head against this trying to to find a safe and effective solution i decided to solve the problem outside of waffle. So in my controllers I now have a function that goes through the attachments in the parameters and adjusts the filenames in the different %Plug.Upload{}.
It’s not elegant but it works and it does not risk corrupting my old existing attachments, since it will only apply to new files.