Cheapest option to host project

To keep it short: I want to make a stackoverflow clone but customize it for my club’s needs. The main issue I have is I don’t have any money to host the app. I’m currently unemployed. Normally, I would use Netlify or something similar to get free hosting. I’ve looked around and every VPS seems pretty pricey.

What is the most cost effective option?

1 Like

Digital ocean offers $5/month vps servers that will run elixir no problem. You could also maybe run something on Heroku or AWS free tiers.

2 Likes

I would recommend Heroku or Gigalixir free tier. You probably don’t want to fiddle with security permissions and whatnot. Heroku has free Redis and Postgres, which can be useful.

6 Likes

Heroku offers a good free option.

Google Cloud, AWS, Azure all offer long free trials and free credits for compute.

1 Like

I’m pretty happy with Scaleway, they got some pretty cheap options too. Not free though

2 Likes

This may seem like a silly question. Why is a Heroku service / cluster (idk what to call it) catagorized as ‘compute’ or ‘database’. If they are both just servers. Isn’t your postgres db instance sitting on the server just like the app?

Maybe super silly, but I have never deployed an app.

1 Like

It’s not a silly question. In heroku you run instances of your app, which is a different model than running a server with your app and other things on it.

Postgres on heroku is a managed service. They take care of a lot of the hard parts (and you pay a lot for it.) It’s not a server like an application is, though.

Many services on heroku are even provided by third parties, so completely different there. Often they have free tiers that are special for heroku.

2 Likes

Understood, thank you! We used Heroku where I used to work but everything DevOps feels like magic. :sweat_smile:

1 Like