benonymus

benonymus

Hey there,

I am trying to create a unique id for a set of inserts to the database, and I want to make sure that it is unique.
Is this a good approach?

  defp generate_random_unique_id() do
    repeat_id = UUID.uuid4()

    events =
      Event
      |> Event.by_repeat_id(repeat_id)
      |> Repo.all()

    case events do
      [] -> repeat_id
      _ -> generate_random_unique_id()
    end
  end

Is there ever a possibility that the process could get stuck here?

Thank you

Showing Posts 1 to 6

joshtaylor

joshtaylor

Probably Repo.aggregate would be better (as it’s faster to count then get all records, deserialise them, etc), as you could just count then do what you need? Or just conflict?

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

In your approach there is a potential race condition in which two processes could theoretically create the same ID and then attempt to insert it. It may be better to delegate the creation of the ID to the database in a trigger.

cmkarlsson

cmkarlsson

Why not use the database? Create a table which holds the unique value, enforced with a unique constraint, and then reference this table from the multiple rows you are inserting?

Use and ecto transaction to make sure it is atomic.

benonymus

benonymus OP

yesh, that works well, thanks!

benonymus

benonymus OP

yes, thanks for pointing that out!

benonymus

benonymus OP

I will go ahead with this approach!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews