kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Hello everyone,

I would like to integrate some c++ code to Elixir. The library is GitHub - online-go/score-estimator: The score estimator and dead stone removal suggester used on online-go.com. · GitHub.

This is a c++ library with only one functionality, to estimate the score of a go game.

The problem is this is quite expensive (about 500ms).

I learned nif should be short timed functions, otherwise performance will decrease. This is not really the use-case for a port because it is just a command line running.

I have done a wrapper with System, like this

defmodule GoEstimator do
  @moduledoc false
  
  @cmd "#{System.cwd}/priv/estimator"
  
  def estimate(filename) do
    case System.cmd @cmd, [filename] do
      {result, 0} -> 
        {:ok, result}
      {_, code} -> 
        {:error, "could not estimate game, failed with code #{code}"}
    end
  end
end

It is working, but not really useful for communicating with Elixir. I have to create input file, and process stdout.

What would be your advice to integrate c++ simple command line code? With possibly a better data passing between c code and Elixir? Should I?

  • nifs
  • ports/porcelain
  • keep System wrapper, and transform stdin/stdout
  • other not mentionned

Thanks for taking time.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

NobbZ

NobbZ

I took only a quick look in that repository and it seemed to me as if that project were actually meant to be used as a tool on the command line and not as a library.

So I’d definitifely use it as a CLI tool.

Perhaps file some issues to make the ouput easier to process and to make the tool able to read from STDIN.

Or even better, ask the project to extract a library which makes you then can wrap in a NIF-module, assuming recent enough releases of OTP it shouln’t be a problem as you can use dirty schedulers. You only need to get the hinting right :wink:

kokolegorille

kokolegorille OP

Thank You for the answer. I was just a bit concerned about the long running time for a nif.

peerreynders

peerreynders

A C node seems to be missing as an option on that list. Ultimately the level and kind of parallelism you need is going to dictate how hairy that solution would be.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews