devbrett

devbrett

If I need to ship a new product in a week, Phoenix LiveView is my go-to framework.

Elixir LiveView is incredible, and an alluring choice for software leaders looking to develop applications super fast. However, in recent experience, I’ve seen teams hit some pitfalls.

The trick is to understand what Elixir LiveView excels at, and what it doesn’t.

TL;DR: LiveView is perfect for internal tools and simple apps. Skip it for complex UIs, offline-first apps, or if your team doesn’t know Elixir well.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

DaAnalyst

DaAnalyst

A LiveView developer here (from its earliest days)..

Is your team familiar with Elixir?

As opposed to what? JS or Python? The languages every human gets born with knowing full well, so outside of the two learning any other language is like a burdensome extra skill yet to get acquired?

IMO out of all the cons you list there, the only one holding water is the continuous connection requirement, and even that one is only partially true b/c LiveView does handle a loss of connection gracefully when idle, the only catch being you can’t really change the server-side state if the connection is down, but that’s true for every web app.

What you don’t mention in your post is that LiveView has the BEAM VM underneath meaning you can achieve things with processes WITHIN your app you can only dream of in any other framework. That’s not to mention the savings on, say, Amazon services that you otherwise MUST pay for because your Lego-component friendly framework of choice runs in a single server-side thread, has no in-memory DB of its own nor does support horizontal scaling while it’s vertical scaling is non-existent.

The more appropriate questions you could’ve asked in your post are the following:

  1. Are you building a fat client app (for that’s the only kind of web app LiveView is not made for)?
  2. Are you building an app that’s meant to scale without rewriting it each time it gains another order of magnitude more users (b/c with LiveView you won’t have to)?
  3. Are you planning to hand most of your SaaS income over to Amazon (for with LiveView you won’t need to)?

My 2c

12
Post #1
kjwvanijk

kjwvanijk

Thank you for writing this article, definately thought provoking. In the past I have read similar analyses of liveview’s limitations regarding client side interactions. What I always find puzzling is that when there is critique on liveview for having to write a few js/ts functions through a hook, the solution for not having to do this is bringing in a full js framework complete with npm hell and lots more js to write than if you would be creating a hook.

garrison

garrison

I wouldn’t really refer to terminating the process and destroying all of the state within it as handling it “gracefully”. It would be fair to say that LiveView could handle it gracefully, but it doesn’t.

I do think for certain use-cases having a thin client with state directly next to the BEAM/database is advantageous. However, it’s not like this is black and white; you could have a client-rendered app that interacts with a BEAM backend and still get all of Elixir’s benefits on the server.

I think this premise is a bit absurd in general, but also I would point out that a thin client approach is more expensive on the server side than a thick client because you have to do more work on the server.

But really I am just restating the previous point: you can use Elixir without LiveView and get those same benefits.

DaAnalyst

DaAnalyst

Have you tried pulling the ethernet cable out and then plugging it back in? Unless LiveView was trying to push or render during that period the process(es) would not restart. You wouldn’t even notice it happened.

Of course, I wasn’t arguing about fat client (“client-rendered”) apps. One of my points was in fact that that’s the only case LiveView is not made for. And yes, any app that keeps sufficient state on the client to function in a stand-alone mode and only query/mutate server state on explicit demand is in essence a fat client app.

It depends on the particular requirements. If the app doesn’t require frequent queries/mutations, then sure, but that’s again the fat client type of app that’s not perfectly suited for LiveView.

On the other hand, if the app is chatty, and you have a REST API, you can stay assured the amount of data transferred over the wire on average (not accounting for full page http refresh) will be far less if its LiveView server-rendered than if it’s “client-side” rendered. It’s easy to understand why’s that, and we have also proven it to ourselves in practice.

Btw, I only hope we’re not having this conversation solely because of the LiveView process restarting when it detects it’s out of sync.

garrison

garrison

Like, it’s all datagrams underneath. I understand that TCP can survive a little blip. But if you lose the connection you lose the process, right? I would love to be wrong about this but I don’t think I am. My understanding is that there is no reconnection behavior at all and you simply get a new process.

And that is a much more reasonable and nuanced position than “LiveView is magic that will reduce your AWS bill”.

I do like LiveView, but I am not a fan of meaningless hype. Clearly you are knowledgeable and capable of carrying on a nuanced discussion of the topic, so why not do that instead? This is literally the Elixir Forum; there is no need to evangelize here.

DaAnalyst

DaAnalyst

True. In it’s current form/version when it detects it’s out of sync, there’s no going back. But, again, it’s not the end of the world because..

One needs to evaluate what it is that actually happens (to the app itself) in each of the cases (a LiveView app vs a fat client app) when connection is lost, and more importantly how it affects the user.

For the fat client app, it’s simple (assuming it’s client-side framework doesn’t flip over too in which case it’s gonna be far worse than if a LiveView restarts). But let’s assume it doesn’t crash. The fat client app stays in it’s semi-usable mode until the connection is back on.

As for the LiveView app we have the process restart, but what really bothers people is the loss of client-side state after having reloaded the page. The perceived pain can be substantially alleviated by keeping track of the important client-side data points on the server. For instance in our app we track what was clicked last and where in the stream it was so we can reposition on page reload but not just on page reload triggered by a lost connection, but also in a scenario when the user navigates elsewhere within the app and the navigation itself restarts the LiveView so when the user decides to go back by pressing the browser’s back button they not only get returned to the correct page, but also to the correct location in the stream (if there is one) and even within a nested stream of the stream and so on. In practice, the pattern/mechanism used for this pretty much undoes most of the negatives of a LiveView restart.

So, if it’s all about LiveView restarting on a lost connection, in the end it doesn’t get all too much different for the end user since we save that what’s dear to them.

Agreed.

GrammAcc

GrammAcc

This article has some good bits about the infrastructure complexities and familiarity with the ecosystem, but imo it’s comparing apples to oranges. There isn’t much to compare between a FE framework like React or Vue and Phoenix/LiveView because Phoenix is a full-stack application framework, and React/Vue are UI toolkits. It would be more accurate to compare LiveView to Django, Rails, or Spring and React/Vue to QT or GTK.

I want to be clear that I’m not bashing the author. I actually think this article is good because this is an extremely common comparison people make, and I think a lot of FE devs hear about LiveView and think they can use it in place of a FE framework, and this article points out that trying to replace React with LiveView isn’t going to work very well. You need to replace your entire application stack with LiveView, which is not something a non-fullstack dev is going to be able to do in a day.

I also agree that BE-only devs will pick up LiveView faster than FE-only devs, but that’s because all LiveView code is server-rendered HTML. HEEx templates are just like Django, Jinja, Erb, Mustache, etc. It’s just optimized for partial renders instead of caching the full parse result like traditional server-side rendering does. BE devs are usually familiar with this approach to web UIs. I also think that whether it’s easier or harder to build a complex UI in LiveView or React comes down to familiarity. In my case, it’s much easier in LiveView because HEEx is just HTML at the end of the day, and I know how to write a complex UI in pure HTML. JSX is a hot mess though. I find it really hard to visualize the final output in JSX because I’m writing HTML in JS instead of writing JS in HTML. HEEx is supposedly HTML in Elixir, but its syntax and structure is much more like Elixir in HTML, which is what I’m used to with other HTML templating languages like Jinja (Python in HTML).

At the end of the day, there’s no magic bullet that will let you npm install production-app . It feels like engineers just want to pick a single technology or tool and have it magically solve all their problems for them. I appreciate that the article didn’t fall into this trap of trying to say one tool was always the best choice and instead tried to make a case for picking one or the other based on the project and team requirements.

As for the best choice for getting a simple interactive and/or realtime app running in a day or two, that has to be Python’s Quart framework with Jinja templating for HTML and pure JS using the browser-native websocket APIs. I know that no one will agree with me on that, but in my experience having used all of the technologies discussed so far, that stack is by far the simplest and easiest to get to production. It still requires familiarity with all the tools involved though. :slight_smile:

djcoin

djcoin

That’s interesting, do you have code snippets for that? Where do you store the previous location of a page? I feel like this could almost be a standard behaviour of liveview (or a common lib).

FlyingNoodle

FlyingNoodle

You can shove an entire liveview app into a single file with 100 lines.

The requirements.txt or pyproject.toml file that you would have to write to make that work in python doesn’t even fit into those 100 lines.

So, I sincerely, have no idea where you are coming from.

DaAnalyst

DaAnalyst

Can’t share the source code because it’s not legally mine, but I can try and explain the logic.

So, every navigation link in the app is a JS structure instance.

Then we have something we call a topic_context_changer which is a function that’s initialized with the actual navigation link (a %JS{} structure) in question and it returns another function taking the params for the desired url replacement that are known at the time of rendering the stream items (such as the item-page and item identifiers, but actually whatever else you need packaged up into the url for a later resolve). Naturally, this assumes that you need to keep track of the data page identifiers (that’s another story and we do it on regular basis because otherwise we wouldn’t be able to diff them and stream only the actually changed items, given that we fetch them on page by page basis - but this has more to do with how the backend API is organized).

So, each stream item (or not a stream item, doesn’t really matter for this purpose) receives an assign with the result of the function those params are passed to (in the template). The function returns a new JS structure with a JS.dispatch( "replace-state", to: to, detail: %{ path: path})) “prepended” i.e. piped before the original navigation link JS so the final JS structure that’s going to be used for the phx-click (or whatever else) is constructed on the fly and consists of those two basic parts - the dispatch and the push/navigate. The path itself gets constructed out of the payload params and contains all the data required for a new LiveView instance to restart with the desired “coordinates”.

In the root.html.heex we have something like x-on:replace-state="window.history.replaceState( null, '', $event.detail.path)" doing the url replace trick.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Blog Posts Top

zorn
An educational side project in Elixir, Phoenix, and Tauri. I share what I learned while wiring Automerge into the BEAM, including how I s...
New
ryanzidago
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
pckrishnadas88
In the previous part of this series, we built a Worker Pool from scratch, exploring point-to-point communication where a coordinator assi...
New
pckrishnadas88
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New
tomazbracic
Secure boot and a verified root filesystem on an STM32MP157F-DK2 - with Nerves of course Four links of an authenticated boot chain on an ...
New
UlfAnger
Hi all, I’ve built a small demo app to understand what an “AI agent” actually is under the hood, and to show it with Elixir’s own tools ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews