water

water

Device is a Glovary Firewall 6l with GPIO (2x5) on the motherboard.
The header is the not so standard dupont pins 2mm
GPIO is over the super I/O chip: iTE IT8613E

PIN 1 : SIO_PD0  (line 0)
PIN 2 : SIO_PD4  (line 38)
PIN 3 : SIO_PD1  (line 3)
PIN 4 : SIO_PD5  (line 39)
PIN 5 : SIO_PD2  (line 10)
PIN 6 : SIO_PD6  (line 40)
PIN 7 : SIO_PD3  (line 41)
PIN 8 : SIO_PD7  (line 9)
PIN 9 : GND
PIN 10 : VCC

not working:

> Circuits.GPIO.open("GPIO41", :output)
{:error, :not_found}

> Circuits.GPIO.open(41, :output)
{:error, :not_found}

> Circuits.GPIO.enumerate()
[]

> Circuits.GPIO.backend_info()
%{name: Circuits.GPIO.CDev, gpio_number_remapping: :none}


linux (toybox):

> sudo gpioset 0  "41=1" # turn on
> sudo gpioset 0  "41=0" # turn off

> gpioset --version
toybox 0.8.11

linux (libgpiod):

> sudo gpioset -t0 -c gpiochip0 "41=1" # turn on
> sudo gpioset -t0 -c gpiochip0 "41=0" # turn off

> gpioset --version
gpioset (libgpiod) v2.2
Copyright (C) 2017-2023 Bartosz Golaszewski
License: GPL-2.0-or-later
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

water

water OP

@benwilson512
I saw you changed the topic to the nerves section.
Is Circuits.Gpio only on a nerves installation? I’m trying to use the library without nerves.

fhunleth

fhunleth

Co-author of Nerves

Hi @water,

My first thought is that it’s a permissions issue and Circuits.GPIO doesn’t have access to the GPIOs. I see that you ran sudo on gpioset. I’m assuming that you’re not running Elixir as root and that if you removed the sudo that gpioset wouldn’t work either.

If it is a permissions issue and your device is running udev, you can add a udev rule to set the group/permissions on/dev/gpiochip0 so that Elixir can access it without running as root. Create a file like /etc/udev/rules.d/99-gpio.rules file with the following contents:

KERNEL=="gpiochip*", SUBSYSTEM=="gpio", GROUP="gpio", MODE="0660"

Then create the gpio group if you don’t already have one. E.g. sudo addgroup gpio. Also make sure that your user is in the gpio group in /etc/group.

Then reload udev and rerun the rules:

sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
sudo udevadm trigger

If you look at /dev/gpiochip0, it should have the right permissions and Circuits.GPIO should find the GPIOs. You also shouldn’t need to run sudo for gpioset, etc.

Hope this helps!

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hey @water that’s my bad, I saw Circuits.GPIO and assumed nerves!

water

water OP

thank you.

nixos configuration

    services.udev.extraRules = ''
      KERNEL=="gpiochip*", SUBSYSTEM=="gpio", GROUP="gpio", MODE="0660"
    '';
    users.groups."gpio" = { };
    users.users.${config.ncfg.primaryUserName}.extraGroups = [
      "gpio"
    ];

water

water OP

Writing to the led works.
I can also read from an input.
But Circuits.GPIO.set_interrupts gives an error and the error message is not clear.

{:ok, mybutton} = Circuits.GPIO.open({"gpiochip0", 0}, :input) # tuple: GPIO controller hardware name , a line offset
## {:ok, %Circuits.GPIO.CDev{ref: #Reference<0.1604890481.3279814673.239057>}}

Circuits.GPIO.read(mybutton)
## 1
# Push the button down
Circuits.GPIO.read(mybutton)
## 0

The example in the readme is the reverse of my button press result. I don’t think it matters?

iex(37)> Circuits.GPIO.set_interrupts(mybutton, :both)
{:error, {:errno, 1}}
iex(38)> Circuits.GPIO.set_interrupts(mybutton, :rising)
{:error, {:errno, 1}}
iex(39)> Circuits.GPIO.set_interrupts(mybutton, :falling)
{:error, {:errno, 1}}
water

water OP

I can’t get gpiomon to work either.

I’ll change the 2 buttons with switches.
Polling them every 500ms should do the trick.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews