fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

Building off of this older post:

What I need to do is to create a few case-insensitive columns in PostGres. I’ve been following this post: Case insensitive column in Phoenix | Adam Niedzielski but somehow I always seem to find a way to take something off the rails.

In particular, it seems that any citext column cannot specify a maximum length.

Here is my schema that works, but note that for all the citext fields, I can’t specify a length.

defmodule :"Elixir.Languages.Repo.Migrations.Languages" do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def change do
    execute "CREATE EXTENSION citext", "DROP EXTENSION citext"

    create table(:languages, primary_key: false) do
      add :id, :citext, null: false, primary_key: true  # 2-character ISO 639_1
      add :code_639_2t, :citext, null: false
      add :code_639_2b, :citext, null: false
      add :name, :string, size: 80, null: false
    end

    # Ensure case insensitivity for ISO identifiers
    create index(:languages, ["lower(id)"], name: :languages_index, unique: true)
    create index(:languages, ["lower(code_639_2t)"], name: :languages_639_2t_index, unique: true)
    create index(:languages, ["lower(code_639_2b)"], name: :languages_639_2b_index, unique: true)

  end
end

Before I tried the citext, I used strings with specific character limits:

add :id, :string, size: 2, null: false, primary_key: true  # 2-character ISO 639_1
add :code_639_2t, :string, size: 3, null: false
add :code_639_2b, :string, size: 3, null: false
add :name, :string, size: 80, null: false

So I guess what really bothers me about citext is that it’s essentially a TEXT field, not a simple String or VARCHAR type field. In MySQL, the text fields could be a source of inefficiencies and they seem overblown for storing 3-character strings. Does anyone have thoughts or reassurances for dealing with this?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

ibarch

ibarch

In PostgreSQL text data type is preferred over VARCHAR and in practice more performant, but you should not leave a text or citext field for end users without a constraint on maximum value size.

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Interesting. Thanks for the tip! In my case, my Ecto schema has some validations that restrict the input size, so I think I’m good. I am just so used to having the database be the ultimate source on all limits and constraints that it feels weird to rely on the application layer for this, even for something as trivial as size limits.

sorentwo

sorentwo

Oban Core Team

Character limits on varchar columns are implemented as a check constraint on a text column. If you want to guarantee a limit in the database you can do the same thing with a length check on a citext type instead.

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

The plot thickened a bit when I tried to build this into Docker. When I have
execute "CREATE EXTENSION citext", "DROP EXTENSION citext"
in my migrations, bringing up the docker-compose stack produces this error:

Evaluation failed with: ERROR 42710 (duplicate_object) extension "citext" already exists

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Solution is simple enough:

execute "CREATE EXTENSION IF NOT EXISTS citext", "DROP EXTENSION citext"

csokun

csokun

Do I need to manually extend Ecto.Type for :citext to work? I got this error when I tried to assign (ArgumentError) unknown type :citext for field :email

jswanner

jswanner

No, in your Ecto schemas the field will just have a type of :string

csokun

csokun

Thanks @jswanner it works!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews