ScriptyScott
Hey Folks,
Quick question, while implementing email functionality into my Phoenix App I came across multiple sources that claim:
Opposite to some stacks, sending emails, talking to third party apps, etc in Elixir do not block or interfere with other requests, so you should resort to async emails only when necessary.
This seems so foreign to me, coming from other platforms like Rails. Can someone briefly explain why this is the case in Elixir and what specific scenarios require async emails/calls? I love how responsive Phoenix and LiveView Apps are and would hate to loose that with a call that blocks the UI.
Thanks,
Scott
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
josefrichter
I think it refers to the fact that every single connection is handled by a separate independent process, so a slow operation, or even a crash, does not slow down or directly affect any other connection. I think this is a good explanation what’s going on under the hood: https://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/mix-otp/task-and-gen-tcp.html
But I’d too like to see a confirmation or more profound answer from some of the OGs here
al2o3cr
Two things that this might be referring to (but they’re both a stretch):
in the early days of Node, libraries would hide blocking calls (like an SMTP send) and cause scheduling woes by blocking the whole event loop. But nowadays there are well-established patterns for handling that situation (async/await etc)
a web server running on the BEAM is going to have a LOT more “workers” than one with traditional UNIX processes, so blocking one Erlang process should have less effect on performance
josefrichter
I think that’s the point - in Node or Ruby you have to use these workarounds to make sure you don’t choke the system, and still have fairly limited options. In Elixir you don’t. Because of your bullet 2, basically.
If I overly simplify it, Ruby and Node are running in single thread by default. Elixir runs on all available threads by default. On my macbook, this means 6 cores = 12 threads, so I kinda get 12x performance out of the box. It’s easy to choke 1 thread, especially if something goes awry and gets stuck there. Async/await helps you optimize within that one thread, but nothing more. You don’t need that much optimization if you run on 12x more threads. So you would most likely send mails asynchronously in Elixir for example when it’s imperative that within your application the single user cannot wait 0.5s for the mailer response. At least that is my layman understanding here, hopefully someone more experienced can chime in?
crova
I can’t find the thread but I remember folks arguing that, since the majority of people will be using a third party to actually send the email, and those third party usually send emails in a reasonable time, it was OK to simply call the API to fire the message and be done with it.
dimitarvp
It goes even further than that. Elixir’s processes are not only OS threads; you can still have tens of thousands of processes and parts of them might be stuck (and that count can be much more than the amount of CPU cores) but the rest will still continue running.
Nicd
Exactly, Erlang runs the processes in schedulers. By default there is one scheduler per CPU core, so on a 12-core system you would have 12 schedulers. The processes are switched pre-emptively, meaning that a process cannot prevent the scheduler from running other processes (except in the case of NIFs but that’s a separate problem). So even if you have one process stuck or spinning infinitely, it will be periodically switched out and the scheduler will run something else.
This is the real reason why you can technically run long running blocking tasks in the same process as the HTTP request. Assuming you have already sent the response to the user, then there is no problem if the process takes a long time to send the email or do something else, it won’t block anything else important running on the system.
josefrichter
Thank you for this. To further understand, when you say “process stuck or spinning indefinitely”, would that mean the process is stuck “in” CPU? Blocking one thread?
And if one core = two threads, then each scheduler has 2 threads to work with, and can use the other one if one of them is blocked?
Also, what decides which of the scheduler takes any given process?
Nicd
By “stuck” I meant a process that is blocked, passively waiting for something. That process will not be scheduled for execution, the scheduler will run other processes. By “spinning indefinitely” I mean a process that is in an infinite loop, constantly executing. It will be executed by the scheduler but periodically switched out, so other processes will also get execution time.
Schedulers are single threads in the OS PoV, so for one core you would generally have one scheduler. It doesn’t make sense to say “if one of [the threads] is blocked” as the scheduler is single threaded and won’t get blocked by regular Erlang processes.
The VM orchestrates the schedulers. They can steal work from each other, so if one is overloaded, others can take processes from it to manage the load.
josefrichter
thank you again. what resource would you recommend for reading up more on this, please?
benwilson512
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvBT4XBdoUE is a classic talk that covers these cool properties.