slouchpie

slouchpie

Hi

I have been going through the Cldr docs and I don’t see a clear way to do this.

How can I configure Cldr so I can overwrite the to_string function for certain things?

In particular I want to write the formatter so money:

<%= @money %>

is displayed as "$20" if the amount is {:USD, 20} and displayed as "$20.10" if the amount is {:USD, "20.10"}.
I know I can use Money.to_string with formatting options but I want to keep it simple for other devs and have custom Cldr formatter.

Anyone have any idea or pointers to help me out?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

If this in phoenix templates? If so then you likely want to implement Phoenix.HTML.Safe for the Money struct.

slouchpie

slouchpie OP

I’m using Money v6.0.0 — Documentation
It already has the Html.Safe protocol implemented.

slouchpie

slouchpie OP

OK cool it finally “clicked” for me. I just put this in my code:

  defimpl Phoenix.HTML.Safe, for: Money do
    def to_iodata(money) do
      "this is how I do it!"
      |> Phoenix.HTML.Safe.to_iodata()
    end
  end

and now my money looks however I want it to look. Thanks @LostKobrakai

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Oh, interesting. I’ll look at adding that as an implementation on the next version of ex_money. I’m only just now getting back to web dev and hadn’t realised there is both the Html.Safe and Phoenix.HTML.Safe protocols (and maybe there isn’t a difference any more!)

D’Oh, should have read my own code first. This is the implementation:

  defimpl Phoenix.HTML.Safe, for: Money do
    def to_iodata(money) do
      Phoenix.HTML.Safe.to_iodata(Money.to_string!(money))
    end
  end

Does it not do what you expect?

You can actually store formatting options in a Money.t if you need - that capability was primarily added to support this protocol. Of course if thats not enough you can certainly do your own implementation as you showed.

Example

iex> m = Money.new(:USD, 1234, format: :long)
#Money<:USD, 1234>
iex> Money.to_string m                       
{:ok, "1,234 US dollars"}
slouchpie

slouchpie OP

For illumination, here is exactly the code I ended up writing:

  defimpl Phoenix.HTML.Safe, for: Money do
    def to_iodata(%Money{amount: %Decimal{coef: coef, exp: 0}} = money) when is_integer(coef) do
      money
      |> Money.to_string!(fractional_digits: 0)
      |> HTML.Safe.to_iodata()
    end

    def to_iodata(money) do
      money
      |> Money.to_string!()
      |> HTML.Safe.to_iodata()
    end
  end

So you can see there are 2 functions.

The 2nd function is the “fallback” function and is identical to the existing Money source code.

The 1st function pattern-matches for “integer” money amounts.

The result of this is displaying money as “$20.34” when it is not an integer amount and as “$20” when it is an integer amount (there is no ".00" at the end).

UPDATE: this code actually breaks my deployments. I get an error from mix release:

** (Mix) Duplicated modules:
     'Elixir.Phoenix.HTML.Safe.Money' specified in my_module and ex_money

I even get this error with elixirc_options: [ignore_module_conflict: true]] in my project in mix.exs.

slouchpie

slouchpie OP

I don’t understand this. Can you provide an example?

UPDATE: ignore this. I understand you mean Money.new(..., options). Sadly, this doesn’t fit my needs.

I need to fully override the protocol. Would it be possible to make this overrideable?

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Thanks for the explanation and I understand the use case. Let me think on this and revert soon.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

As of commit 8c14f4f there is a compile-time option to configure whether or not the default protocol implementation is defined. The changelog entry is:

  • Add :define_phoenix_html_safe as a compile-time configuration option. The default is true. If set to a falsy value then the default protocol implementation will not be generated and users can define their own implementation.

Basically, in config.exs and friends:

config :ex_money,
  define_phoenix_html_safe: false

The commit is on a development branch that will be published Lunar New Year’s Day (next Tuesday) and therefore can’t really be used easily as a GitHub dependency.

If the need becomes urgent I can do a backport to the current main branch and publish a release, but I’d prefer to wait until Tuesday if thats possible. Let me know?

slouchpie

slouchpie OP

It’s really cool that you decided to make this possible.

I wonder if maybe there is a more extensible approach?

What comes to mind is a compile-time configuration option :exclude_protocol_implementations with default []. If set to, e.g. [Gringotts.Money, Inspect, Jason.Encoder] then these 3 protocol implementations would not be defined.

For my case, I would then only need exclude_protocol_implementations: [Phoenix.HTML.Safe].

I think this approach will be easier for future customizations. Also the name exclude_protocol_implementations provides immediate insight into what is happening, even which file in the source code to check.

I left some comments on the commit, to illustrate what I’m thinking.

Thanks again!

P.S. This is not urgent at all. We are using a show_money view helper until something more elegant is possible. :+1:

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

I have pushed commit 72f78b4 to ex_money master branch implementing your suggestion. The changelog entry reads:

Enhancements

  • Adds configuration option :exclude_protocol_implementations to omit generating implementations for one or more protocols from the list Json.Encoder, Phoneix.HTML.Safe and Gringotts.Money. Thanks to @jgough-playoxygen for the suggestion.

If you have a chance to take it for a spin from GitHub that would be great. Pending your feedback I’ll then publish to hex.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews