pedrocaseiro

pedrocaseiro

Hey! Trying to deploy my fresh phoenix 1.6.15 app to fly.io by following the documentation. It should be as simple as doing a fly launch, but I end up getting the following error

ERROR! Config provider Config.Reader failed with:
         ** (RuntimeError) environment variable DATABASE_URL is missing.
         For example: ecto://USER:PASS@HOST/DATABASE

I thought that with phoenix > 1.6.3 the management of secrets like the DATABASE_URL would be completely managed by fly.io but that doesn’t seem to be the case, or did I miss a step?

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

w0rd-driven

w0rd-driven

Can you try another region? I had issues where the Postgres DB wasn’t being stood up before the deployment finished. I’m not at my computer but if you pasted clean logs (there is potentially some PII depending on how far back your logs go) I can point to the spot you should see it set up correctly.

Basically there should be output showing the Postgres credentials and the full url right after it starts provisioning the database. If you’re not seeing that in the logs then I suspect you’re running into what I did. I solved my problem by switching to the Miami region from Virginia. It’s possible this is a problem in only the one region or I had issues I could troubleshoot my way out of. The fact that it worked seamlessly in another region kinda suggests otherwise.

pedrocaseiro

pedrocaseiro OP

Hey @w0rd-driven, thanks for your reply! I think you’re right about the database issue as I’m not seeing the full url in the logs right after creation, all I see is

? Would you like to set up a Postgresql database now? Yes
? Select configuration: Production - Highly available, 2x shared CPUs, 4GB RAM, 40GB disk
Creating postgres cluster in organization personal
Creating app...

Unfortunately deleting the app and deploying again but swapping from London to Madrid didn’t fix it.

karlosmid

karlosmid

Hi! I also tried to deploy an app that does not need a database, but fly.io does not support that.
The solution was to set up postgres on fly.io for my application.

pedrocaseiro

pedrocaseiro OP

I could try creating the database separately and attaching it, but I’ve now reached the limit of 2 apps in the free tier, even though I’ve deleted them. Will wait to see if I get the room for 2 more!

Enuzo

Enuzo

Same here.
I get the same error even after choosing the option to deploy without a postgres.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews