GenericJam

GenericJam

I’m trying to find a cleaner coding style for what I’ve got happening repeatedly in my code right now. This is looking very pyramid of doom-ish

# Variables in scope
%{ var1: var1, var2: var2, var3: var3}
case function1(var1) do
    # Success case one
    {:ok, %{pattern1: _}} ->
      case function2(var2) do
        {:ok, %{pattern2: _}} ->
          # Etc with the nesting as need be
          Logger.info()

        other ->
          Logger.error("Oops")
      end

    # Success case two
    {:ok, %{pattern3: _}} ->
      case function3(var2) do
        {:ok, %{pattern4: _}} ->
          # Etc with the nesting as need be
          Logger.info()

        other ->
          Logger.error("Oops")
      end

    # Failure case
    other ->
      Logger.error("He's dead, Jim. Cause of death: #{inspect(other)}")
  end

I know that as an alternative I could put the pattern matching/fail catching in a series of functions but this isn’t necessarily any more readable as the functions should be grouped by name not by logical association. Once the logic gets more complicated, it is actually worse imo for readability.

Is there some alternative I’m missing?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

preciz

preciz

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You have a tree of cases here (not one happy path, different leaves between both first level successes), so unless you move stuff into functions (anonymous or named) you’d probably need to stick with what you have.

GenericJam

GenericJam OP

Yes. I didn’t actually realize until it was pointed out to me that with with you can pass the results from one call into the next one. The catch is that the errors become more grouped together which in some cases is beneficial. It seems like with is probably the happy medium here.

Thanks for the suggestion!

cnck1387

cnck1387

Just for future searches, would you mind including the with version so we have a before and after?

GenericJam

GenericJam OP

Here’s a rough translation although not direct as in the original I’ve got two success cases where only the first one will match whereas in the translation both with (potentially) match. This is the general idea though:

%{var1: var1, var2: var2, var3: var3}

    with {:ok, %{pattern1: _}} <- function1(var1),
          # Now you can use pattern1
         {:ok, %{pattern2: _}} <- function2(%{pattern1: pattern1, var2: var2}) do
      # Etc with the nesting as need be
      Logger.info()
    else
      # Failure case
      other ->
        Logger.error("He's dead, Jim. Cause of death: #{inspect(other)}")
    end

    with {:ok, %{pattern3: _}} <- function1(var1),
         {:ok, %{pattern4: _}} <- function3(var2) do
      # Etc with the nesting as need be
      Logger.info()
    else
      # Failure case
      other ->
        Logger.error("He's dead, Jim. Cause of death: #{inspect(other)}")
    end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews