fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I have been playing around with ex_termbox (which provides bindings to termbox) as a way to “paint” the screen when running CLI apps. I’ve got most things working – the package has some excellent examples. However I’m not sure how to “clear” the screen when I launch something from iex. My loop is all in the context of a GenServer – the important parts look something like this:

use GenServer

alias ExTermbox.Bindings, as: Termbox
alias ExTermbox.{Cell, EventManager, Event, Position}

def start_link(%{name: name} = state) do
  GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, %{response: ""}, name: name)
end

@impl true
def init(%{name: name}) do

  :ok = Termbox.init()

  {:ok, em_pid} = EventManager.start_link(name: :"#{name}_event_mgr")
  :ok = EventManager.subscribe(em_pid, name)

  {:ok, state, {:continue, :draw_screen}}
end

  @impl true
  def handle_continue(:draw_screen, %{response: response} = state) do

    Termbox.clear()

    response = String.to_charlist(response)

    for {ch, x} <- Enum.with_index(response) do
      :ok = Termbox.put_cell(%Cell{position: %Position{x: x, y: 0}, ch: ch})
    end

    Termbox.present()

    {:noreply, state}
  end

However, when I start an instance of this GenServer from iex, the screen is not fully cleared. Things work, but I end up seeing parts of the iex session “bleeding through”. Something like this:


❯ █  ok, #PID<0.200.0>}
iex(2)>

where I can type input at the ❯ prompt and things work, but it just looks wrong. Things are a bit better if I manually clear the screen, e.g. via my own function like this:

  defp clear_screen do
    {:ok, width} = Termbox.width()
    {:ok, height} = Termbox.height()

    for x <- 0..width, y <- 0..height do
      :ok = Termbox.put_cell(%Cell{position: %Position{x: x, y: y}, ch: 8206})
    end
  end

If I use a unicode whitespace character (e.g. ch 8206), then most of the screen gets covered like I want and the iex> prompt and pid are visible only at the very bottom of the screen.

My guess is that iex and termbox are wrestling for control over the current view port. Is there a way for termbox to fully take control over the screen, or am I bound to accommodate iex so long as I am launching my app from within iex?

Thanks for any pointers, thoughts, enlightenment.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

ityonemo

ityonemo

Maybe don’t run IEx? Just launch elixir by itself.

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

I think the problem has to do with raw terminal mode conflicting with iex itself. The solution I came up with was simply to use ExTermbox.Bindings.clear() but if I monitored by process and captured its exit, poof! The “terminal pollution” went away:

  def start(thing_name) do
    {:ok, pid} = Thing.start_link(%{name: thing_name})

    ref = Process.monitor(pid)

    receive do
      {:DOWN, ^ref, _, _, _} -> :ok
    end
  end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews