alvises

alvises

Hi everyone,

It has been a while I wanted to write a series of articles on how to implement a working (an simple!) kv store engine using logs and elixir. I’m writing the first article, which it’s an intro of the different concepts and I was thinking to write a first super simple implementation with just one writer (with one log file), one index and a reader.

Since the article is becoming long, I wanted to keep the code as simple as possible to focus on the storage engine. To make it as easy as possible, at the beginning I was thinking force the name of process, and avoiding in general to put the pid argument in the server interface functions, like this:

defmodule LogKV.Index do
  use GenServer

  def start_link([]) do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, :empty, name: __MODULE__)
  end

  def init(:empty), do: {:ok, %{}}
  
  def update(key, offset, size) do
    GenServer.call(__MODULE__, {:update, key, offset, size})
  end

  def lookup(key) do
    GenServer.call(__MODULE__, {:lookup, key})
  end

  def handle_call({:update, key, offset, size}, _from, index_map) do
    {:reply, :ok, Map.put(index_map, key, {offset, size})}
  end

  def handle_call({:lookup, key}, _from, index_map) do
    {:reply, get_key_offset_size(key, index_map), index_map}
  end

  defp get_key_offset_size(key, index_map) do
    case Map.get(index_map, key) do
      {_offset, _size} = offset_size -> {:ok, offset_size}
      nil -> {:error, :not_found}
    end
  endend

full code with docs here: logkv_articles/lib/logkv/index.ex at 90a980eccc06d2bb55fa8f491de63916ae75d6f3 · alvises/logkv_articles · GitHub

As you can see the update/3 function doesn’t have the pid parameter. This permits me, in the article, to focus more on the functionalities rather then processes. I don’t know if this is considered an anti-pattern, but for sure brings issues with unit testing and running the tests in parallel, since I can’t run multiple processes and can’t specify multiple pids.

I then have another module, the Writer which uses the Index. Having a simple interface with just one index with an harcoded name put me in the easy position to not having to introduce in the code registry etc.. the idea is to bring all this as long as the implementation improves during the different parts.

Can you please tell me what’s your opinion about this? Should I make the code a bit more complicated introducing using Registry and making the code less coupled, or for sake of simplicity of the article I can leave the interface as it is?

If you want to have a better idea of what I’m talking about and take a look at the draft I’m writing, here’s the link: https://www.poeticoding.com/p/31d01f68-f853-48fc-93ad-8c097204af6b/
password to see the page: elixir_forum

Thanks

Alvise

Showing Posts 1 to 4

tty

tty

You can always pull the name from sys.config or the application environment i.e Application.get_env/3. By using Application.put_env/4 prior to starting the GenServer you now can have several named processes.

alvises

alvises OP

although this is just for an article, my main concern is, for the sake of a super simple code, to show implement an anti-pattern

tty

tty

The more common idioms are:

  1. name the process the same as the module if only one such process is expected in a node
  2. the name in provided if several similar processes would run on the same node and you need access to a specific process
  3. have several start_link/start to simplify usage in the console and test

I’ve seen unique process names pulled from sys.config or a database in production code. As long as you are consistent about it.

The benefit of Registry is non-atom names.

alvises

alvises OP

Thanks a log! I’m in the 1st point for sure. Only one process is expected, especially considering the code is just to introduce the concept.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews