Straffern

Straffern

I am currently tinkering with a poc, which is a rewrite of an existing product originally implemented in Python.
I recently saw a presentation on :gen_statem, and wanted to play around with it. I quickly realised that it might fit nicely my case.

The problem/case:

The existing product functions both as a SaaS product and a “firmware” for an IoT product. Given that I hope to utilise Nerves, for the IoT product, I suddenly see a case for adding additional states, that only is a concern for the Nerves variant of the product.

What I’m asking

Is it possible to develop a standalone software, that can run in a container, but also be imported and extended in the Nerves software?

Such that I can extend the “Sensor” gen_state_machine, adding additional states, and override a selection of callbacks already implemented in “Sensor” module?

Do I need a macro for this?
Is this bad practice?

Thanks! :smiley:

Showing Posts 1 to 5

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

You don’t. If you think about it you’re doing the same with gen_statem already. It provides the underlying logic on how to run a state machine, while the module you implement provides the logic of which states act how.

You could provide your own behaviour and extension points within to further allow another behaviour implementing module to extend what you built on top of gen_statem.

Straffern

Straffern OP

Its possible that I’ve misunderstood behaviours.
So I basically just add a bunch of typespecs for callbacks & types, similar to the implementation of gen_state_machine, and then make some state_function overridable?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

That would be one way to do that, yes.

You can see similar “stacked implementations” with e.g. LiveView.

Similarly for plain channels use Phoenix.Channel modules are also started as GenServer processes.

Straffern

Straffern OP

I don’t think I understand.
Looking at the second link with Phoenix.Liveview.Channel, I see no use of Phoenix.Liveview

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

It’s the other way round. The channel isn’t a LV. But the channel is what “runs” a LV.

E.g. here you can see it forwarding non-internally-handled handle_info messages to the liveview:
https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view/blob/v0.19.5/lib/phoenix_live_view/channel.ex#L421

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews