OvermindDL1
I’m curious if anyone would be interesting in giving and trying an occasional coding challenge (perhaps a new tag or category could be made if it gets popular). These would not be ones like Exercism has or so, but strictly challenges to try to solve language-specific tasks that you may never run across in real-life. Let’s do a simple task as an example:
Force non-equality - runtime
Given this code:
defmodule Testing do
def f() do
# Put 1-expression
end
def test() do
false = ( f() == f() )
true
end
end
Fill in the # Put 1-expression here with code to make the test pass where calling Testing.test() returns true.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
gregvaughn
:erlang.monotonic_timeOvermindDL1
Yep yep.
There is still a much shorter way, without calling into
:erlangtoo, what is it? ^.^JEG2
System.unique_integergregvaughn
make_refbbense
fn x → x end
Not sure this isn’t more or less make_ref when all is said and done.
OvermindDL1
This was indeed the shortest that I could come up with when I posted it too.
Ah, I’d not thought of that one but I’d bet it would work too!
Ditto too.
There are still other simple ones too that I can think of. ^.^
gregvaughn
If we’re golfing this for the fewest characters. and don’t mind abusing syntax, I have a 4 character solution
& &1props to @bbense for the idea
OvermindDL1
Oh that is brilliant! ^.^
NobbZ
When I tried that one yesterday (OTP 19.2, Elixir 1.4.0) I got a match error, so that doesn’t work.
JEG2
This code challenge is making me have impure thoughts.