windexoriginal
I often find myself with code like this when applying a function that returns error tuples to an enumerable:
is_ok? = fn x ->
if x < 5, do: {:ok, x}, else: {:error, "too big"}
end
Enum.reduce_while(1..5, {:ok, []}, fn v, {:ok, vs} ->
case is_ok?.(v) do
{:ok, v} -> {:cont, {:ok, [v | vs]}}
{:error, _} = e -> {:halt, e}
end
end)
But, if I write a simple collectable implementation for Tuple, I can write this instead:
for x < - 1..5, into: {:ok, []}, do: is_ok.(x)
I much prefer the second: it’s short, it’s clear, and I don’t mind too much that it iterates the whole enumerable every time. Is implementing a protocol for convenience on a built in type like this a good long term decision?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Asd
If you implement collectable and you do
You will perform
999995unnecessary operationsdimitarvp
Your first code stops at the first error. Your second code doesn’t.
FlyingNoodle
I much, much prefer the first version. I can immediately see what happens and understand.
I always prefer clarity over brevity. Always. Every. Single. Time.
mudasobwa
Then you’d better change the accumulator, I guess
dmitrykleymenov
How should this chunk behave? For me(if you implement `Collectable` protocol), the result should be something like:
al2o3cr
My reading was that the
Collectableimplementation would check the shape of the block’s return value:{:ok, value}and the accumulator is{:ok, values}then the new accumulator is{:ok, values ++ [value]}(or equivalent with reverse-at-the-end for performance){:ok, value}and the accumulator is anything else then the new accumulator is unchanged{:error, e}then the new accumulator is{:error, e}I don’t think I’d personally choose this approach, since it requires defining
Collectablefor all tuples but only actually cares about specific shapeswindexoriginal
That is how I wrote the collectable implementation, and it would also raise an exception if it was given a tuple with an unexpected shape. Ultimately I agree with you and @FlyingNoodle that using a protocol isn’t a good approach.
I ended up creating a Result stuct with a collectable implementation with similar behavior.
@mudasobwa I should have been more clear in my examples. I used Enum.reduce_while/3 to illustrate that the desired outcome was that the first error encountered would be the result for the collectable.
dmitrykleymenov
Yeah, doesn’t seem like
Collectableany more, significantly different from other implementations.