binarypaladin

binarypaladin

Okay, short story:

Let’s say I want to a user-defined SQL function or even a subquery to set a value on an insert or an update with Ecto.Repo combined with a changeset.

So, as a simple example, let’s just say I have some timestamp field that I want to set to NOW() in PostgreSQL rather than rely on the application server setting the time. I know I can do this with a fragment but… this is often done in conjunction with a pretty standard changeset cycle. If the changeset is valid, it’s pretty common to add some automatic values not set by the client.

I’m hoping there is some option I can add on Repo.insert or Repo.update that, combined with returning will result in what I am looking for without me having to do a bunch of destructuring and recombining.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Sounds like you want what the read_after_writes option to Ecto.Schema.field does.

binarypaladin

binarypaladin OP

This still doesn’t explain how to set the value to a fragment combined with a changeset.

read_after_writes is pretty much the same as always listing the field in the returning option.

Let’s say I have a field called voided and if it’s set there I want to also set voided_at to NOW(). Forget all the ways I could do this and just presume I want the application to say, “hey, during this update, set voided_at to NOW().” read_after_writes or returning will get the value back to me, but how do I set it?

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Before trying to give you a working solution I’ll ask you this:

Why do you need voided at all? It’s basically voided_at IS NOT NULL. It seems superfluous.

binarypaladin

binarypaladin OP

Dang. I thought that was going to be it. Nope.

After looking through a bunch of docs last night, I’m probably going to have to write my own Repo function to handle this.

binarypaladin

binarypaladin OP

You’re focusing too much on a contrived example. Here’s another one (also contrived). I want to be able to do something like this:

%ExampleSchema{id: 1, name: "Jane Smith", changed_name_at: nil}
|> change(name: "Jane J Smith")
|> put_sql_change(:changed_name_at, sql_fragment("NOW()"))
|> Repo.update(returning: [:changed_name_at])

If I wanted the date generated by the server, not the application, is there a way to do this either in a changeset or as an option in update (and similarly, with insert)?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Ah, so you need something similar to how updated_at behaves but not pertaining to the entire record, more like for individual fields.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

:autogenerate the functionality used for timestamps does compute the datetimes in elixir as well, not in the db.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Yep I’m aware, simply trying to understand the problem that OP is trying to solve.

kwando

kwando

I do not know how to to this as you wish on the Elixir side.. but I would probably go for a trigger and :read_after_write if I absolutely had to do it this way :slight_smile:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews