wildfalcon

wildfalcon

I’m writing an ES system with commanded.

I can dispatch commands, and they are getting handled, events are being published, and I have a read model being created (using commanded.ecto.projections).

Where i am struggling is in deciding when / how to tell other parts of my system that the read model is updated. In my example, it’s a LiveView, but it could be any other part of the system.

I can broadcast a Pub/Sub event in the project method, like this:

project(%BudgetCreated{} = event, fn multi ->
    multi
    |> Ecto.Multi.insert(:budget, %Budget{
      uuid: event.budget_id,
      name: event.name
    })

    # I can broadcast the event to the live view here

    multi
  end)

But that may result in the LiveView responding to the Pub/Sub message before the db is finished updating, which would prevent the user from seeing the update.

What I would like to do is wait till the read model is finished writing to the db and then send broadcast the pub/sub message

Is there a best practice for doing this?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

wildfalcon

wildfalcon OP

Somewhat embarrassingly, I realised that despite staring at the docs for a while, I had missed the after_update/3 callback, which does exactly what I was looking for

https://hexdocs.pm/commanded_ecto_projections/Commanded.Projections.Ecto.html#c:after_update/3

linusdm

linusdm

Formulating a good question, is often half the solution.

Welcome to the forum! :waving_hand:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews