gregjohnson

gregjohnson

Hi, the " Dispatch returning aggregate version" section of Commanded docs includes:

“You can optionally choose to include the aggregate’s version as part of the dispatch result …
This is useful when you need to wait for an event handler … to be up-to-date before continuing execution or querying its data.”

Does anyone have any hints as to the best way to use the aggregate version as a method for waiting for an event handler to be up-to-date? (and/or any use case comparisons with using consistency :strong)

Thanks …

Showing Posts 1 to 4

drteeth

drteeth

Hello @gregjohnson,

Come join us on the Elixir Slack: https://elixir-lang.slack.com/ in the commanded channel if you are looking for more timely help. There are a number of us there.

If you are wanting to wait for an event handler to catch up to a particular event, one way to do it would be to publish an event over PubSub and wait for that event before moving on.

As an example, say you want to dispatch an OrderWidget command and wait for your OrderHandler to project an OrderSummary record for a corresponding WidgetOrdered event. For the example the order is received via a REST API controller:

defmodule Foo.OrderController do
  def create(conn, order_params) do
    # listen for all order summary events
    Phoenix.PubSub.subscribe(Foo.PubSub, "order_summaries")

    # dispatch the command
    {:ok, %{aggregate_version: version}} =
      Foo.CommandedApp.dispatch(command, include_execution_result: true)

    # wait for the handler to process up to the event
    receive do
      {:order_summarized, v} when v >= version ->
        # the handler has run at least as far as we want
        # query for the summary and return a result
    after
      5000 ->
        # we've waited long enough
        # tell the caller that we accepted their order, but
        # we're having trouble... =(
    end 

    # we're done listening for events
    Phoenix.PubSub.unsubscribe(Foo.PubSub, "order_summaries")
  end
end

The handler might look something like:

defmodule Foo.OrderHandler
  use Commanded.Event.Handler,
    application: Foo.CommandedApp,
    name: "OrderHandler"

  def handle(%WidgetOrdered{} = event, metadata) do
    # write the OrderSummary record to the database
    summary = ...

    # broadcast over pubsub that we've handled this event
    Phoenix.PubSub.broadcast(Foo.PubSub, "order_summaries", {:order_summarized, metadata.stream_version})

    :ok
  end

You could use strong consistency as mentioned in the docks, but that try to avoid that where possible.

Finally, you might also try to get away with returning the input params as result: if you have successfully dispatched the command, then we know the input params were good:

defmodule Foo.AddressController do
  def update(conn, %{"id" => id, "street" => street, "city" => city}) do
    command = %ChangeAddress{address_id: id, street: street, city: city}
   :ok = Foo.CommandedApp.dispatch(command)

   # we know street and city have been accepted, so we can safely return them
   json(conn, %{address_id: id, street: street, city: city})
 end
end
gregjohnson

gregjohnson OP

Hi @drteeth,

Thanks for your commanded channel invite! … I’ll do that!

Just for completeness if anyone else comes here …

Thank for your comprehensive reply, yes, I’m familiar with the various strategies for ensuring that consistency has caught up.

Given that the commanded docs say:
“You can optionally choose to include the aggregate’s version as part of the dispatch result … This is useful when you need to wait for an event handler … ",

… my question was specifically as to how one might best use the dispatch returned aggregate version to wait for an event handler and/or any use case comparisons with the more well known strategies such as you gave in your reply.

Thanks again @drteeth …

drteeth

drteeth

@gregjohnson let’s chat in Slack. I’m not understanding what you are looking for, I thought that is what I showed.

gregjohnson

gregjohnson OP

@drteeth, my sincere apologies, I misread your reply. You did indeed completely answer my question. I really appreciate the time you took to provide such a comprehensive answer in the first place and I’m really sorry for wasting your time caused by my lack of proper attention to your initial reply. I’m very chastened … I’ll do better in the future …

Thanks again for referencing the slack commanded which has a lot of good stuff from people with real world implementation issues and I’ll head there in the future.

Regards …

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews