anthonator

anthonator

I’m curious how people are communicating between their umbrella apps.

We currently have an umbrella app that has a dependency structure like this:

ProxyApp → GraphQLService → BusinessDomain

Each app depends on the next app as a dependency. No app can depend on another app at the same layer. So no Service app can depend on another Service app and no Domain app can depend on another Domain app. This helps keep the app maintainable and it reduces coupling.

However, there are instances where it makes sense for one app to notify another app in the same layer that something happened.

I’m curious if anyone has gone down this route with umbrella apps or maybe even something adjacent like microservices. If so, what has your experience been?

I’ve looked at event sourcing but that seems overkill for what I need. I also thought about using an AMQP service but thought I might be able to implement something using straight OTP.

Curious to hear people’s thoughts and opinions.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

One thing that might definitely help here is Phoenix.PubSub, which allows apps to subscribe to and publish events.
Of course, you can also go full-blown event-sourcing, but for all ephemeral types of events, you need nor want this. :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews