At7heb
apparently “7 -1” is compiled the same as “7 - 1” but “@something -1” generates an error message from the compiler. Module B shows the error; module C has spaces around the minus sign, and module D is like B but uses a number instead of the attribute.
Is this a known bug? feature? just the way it is?
iex(4)> defmodule B do
...(4)> @mask 0o7
...(4)>
...(4)> def decr(b), do: b - @mask -1
...(4)> end
** (ArgumentError) cannot set attribute @mask inside function/macro
(elixir 1.15.5) lib/kernel.ex:3609: Kernel.do_at/5
(elixir 1.15.5) expanding macro: Kernel.@/1
iex:4: (file)
iex(4)> defmodule C do
...(4)> @mask 0o7
...(4)> def decr(b), do: b - @mask - 1
...(4)> end
{:module, C,
<<70, 79, 82, 49, 0, 0, 5, 96, 66, 69, 65, 77, 65, 116, 85, 56, 0, 0, 0, 166,
0, 0, 0, 18, 8, 69, 108, 105, 120, 105, 114, 46, 67, 8, 95, 95, 105, 110,
102, 111, 95, 95, 10, 97, 116, 116, 114, ...>>, {:decr, 1}}
iex(5)> defmodule D do
...(5)> def decr(b), do: b - 0o7 -1
...(5)> end
{:module, D,
<<70, 79, 82, 49, 0, 0, 5, 96, 66, 69, 65, 77, 65, 116, 85, 56, 0, 0, 0, 166,
0, 0, 0, 18, 8, 69, 108, 105, 120, 105, 114, 46, 68, 8, 95, 95, 105, 110,
102, 111, 95, 95, 10, 97, 116, 116, 114, ...>>, {:decr, 1}}
iex(6)> C.decr(5)
-3
iex(7)> D.decr(5)
-3
version (on MacBook Pro w/ M1 chip & MacOS Ventura 13.6):
heb@howards-mbp sds % iex --version
IEx 1.15.5 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 26)
heb@howards-mbp sds % elixir --version
Erlang/OTP 26 [erts-14.0.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:10:10] [ds:10:10:10] [async-threads:1] [jit] [dtrace]
Elixir 1.15.5 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 26)
heb@howards-mbp sds %
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sodapopcan
Ya, spacing matters in Elixir. For example, you can’t do
def foo (), do: "hello". In that case, it thinks you are trying to something along the lines of defining a function that takes an empty block as its first parameter.-1is the integer “negative 1” and module attributes don’t use any kind of assignment operator, so you’re doing what the error says: trying to assign negative one to the module attribute@mask.EDIT: Sorry, I missed your third example. I actually didn’t realize
1-1would compile, so TIL! I think it’s likely considered bad style, though? I dunno, I’m obviously out of my depth here now, lol.At7heb
I didn’t think this would compile without the spaces. I guess the lesson is to either use spaces or to not use them. Bad style, as you wrote, to be inconsistent.
1--1doesn’t compile because--is interpreted as an operator.