Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann

defmodule Benchmark do

	def main do
		module_function = Foo.main
		_ = module_function
	end

	def run(params) do
		number_of_trials = Enum.at(params, 0)
		total_warm_up_cycles = Enum.at(params, 1)

		IO.puts("Warming up . . . initiating first trial of #{number_of_trials}.")

		start_time = System.monotonic_time(:millisecond)

		main = main()
		_ = main

		end_time = System.monotonic_time(:millisecond)
		elapsed_time = (end_time - start_time) / 1000

		results = %{time: [elapsed_time], acc: 1}  

		run(results, number_of_trials, totaL_warm_up_cycles)
	end


	def run(results, number_of_trials, total_warm_up_cycles) do
		start_time = System.monotonic_time(:millisecond)

		main = main()
		_ = main

		end_time = System.monotonic_time(:millisecond)
		new_time = (end_time - start_time) / 1000 
		updated_acc = results.acc + 1

		average_time = 
		cond do 
			results.acc == total_warm_up_cycles -> new_time
			results.acc > total_warm_up_cycles -> Enum.sum(results.time) / (updated_acc - (total_warm_up_cycles + 1))
			results.acc < total_warm_up_cycles -> []
		end

		results = 
		if results.acc >= total_warm_up_cycles do
			Enum.map(results, fn _map ->
				%{
					time: List.insert_at(results.time, 0, new_time),
					acc: updated_acc,
					average_time: average_time
				}
			end)
			|> List.first
		else
			Enum.map(results, fn _map ->
				%{
					time: [],
					acc: updated_acc,
					average_time: 0
				}
			end)
			|> List.first
		end

		cond do 
			results.acc < (total_warm_up_cycles + 1) -> IO.puts("Warming up . . . Trial number #{results.acc} of #{number_of_trials}.")	
			run(module_function, results, number_of_trials, total_warm_up_cycles)

			results.acc == (total_warm_up_cycles + 1) -> IO.puts("Average execution time after #{results.acc} trials of #{number_of_trials}: #{Float.floor(results.average_time, 3)} seconds.")
			run(module_function, results, number_of_trials, total_warm_up_cycles)

			results.acc < number_of_trials -> IO.puts("Average execution time after #{results.acc} trials of #{number_of_trials}: #{Float.floor(results.average_time, 3)} seconds.")
			run(module_function, results, number_of_trials, total_warm_up_cycles)

			results.acc == number_of_trials -> IO.puts("Final trial - Average execution time: #{Float.floor(results.average_time, 3)} seconds.")
		end
	end		
	
end

This is designed to accept the following command:
iex(1)> Benchmark.run([20, 5])

Which would then output:

Warming up . . . initiating first trial of 20.
Warming up . . . Trial number 2 of 20.
Warming up . . . Trial number 3 of 20.
Warming up . . . Trial number 4 of 20.
Warming up . . . Trial number 5 of 20.
Average execution time after 6 trials of 20: 0.754 seconds.
Average execution time after 7 trials of 20: 0.754 seconds.
Average execution time after 8 trials of 20: 0.549 seconds.
Average execution time after 9 trials of 20: 0.48 seconds.
Average execution time after 10 trials of 20: 0.448 seconds.
Average execution time after 11 trials of 20: 0.496 seconds.
Average execution time after 12 trials of 20: 0.471 seconds.
Average execution time after 13 trials of 20: 0.499 seconds.
Average execution time after 14 trials of 20: 0.485 seconds.
Average execution time after 15 trials of 20: 0.47 seconds.
Average execution time after 16 trials of 20: 0.457 seconds.
Average execution time after 17 trials of 20: 0.447 seconds.
Average execution time after 18 trials of 20: 0.438 seconds.
Average execution time after 19 trials of 20: 0.431 seconds.
Final trial - Average execution time: 0.427 seconds.
:ok

When attempting to compile this module, however, it triggers the following error:

== Compilation error in file lib/Benchmark.ex ==
** (CompileError) lib/Benchmark.ex:24: undefined function totaL_warm_up_cycles/0

It looks like total_warm_up_cycles = Enum.at(params, 1) is being ignored? If so, why and how is this resolved?

Ideally I’d love to get this to run with something like iex(2)> Benchmark.run([MODULE.FUNCTION, 20, 5]) which would make this more dynamic since the particular module function to be benchmarked wouldn’t have to be hardcoded. After spending dozens of hours searching far and wide, though, I can’t find any resources that cover how exactly this is done. Is this even possible?

Thanks for all your help and opinions! :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 8

Nicd

Nicd

totaL_warm_up_cycles has a big L, it’s a typo.

NobbZ

NobbZ

There is an uppercase L in the usage of the variable, but not in it’s definition

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

You put a capital L in the second totaL_warm_up_cycles.

Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann OP

Wow . . . it’s always the little things, lol :slight_smile:

Thanks guys!

Any thoughts on getting something like iex(2)> Benchmark.run([MODULE.FUNCTION, 20, 5]) to work? Is this even possible?

Nicd

Nicd

As for this part, have you tried for example Benchmark.run(&Module.function/n, 20, 5) (substituting module, function, and n for the respective module, function, and arity)? Then you could call the function with function.(args) (note the period).

EDIT: For more information about function capturing, see: https://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/modules-and-functions.html#function-capturing

Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann OP

Thanks for your suggestion! :slight_smile:

Here’s what my attempt garnered:

iex(6)> Benchmark.run(&Foo.feed/0, 20, 5) 
** (ArgumentError) you attempted to apply :acc on &Foo.feed/0. If you are using apply/3, make sure the module is an atom. If you are using the dot syntax, such as map.field or module.function, make sure the left side of the dot is an atom or a map

What did I miss?

Nicd

Nicd

Well you would need to change the rest of your function code to match… :slight_smile: In my suggestion the first parameter would be the function to run, so you’d need to use another place for the results. Or put the function in another parameter.

Maxximiliann

Maxximiliann OP

Got it, thanks so much! :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews