FabienHenon

FabienHenon

Hi,

I’m trying to generate a module with a function at runtime (from an Phoenix LiveView handle_params function), but I’m not able to make my code work.

Here is a sample code that fails:

page = "TestPage"
mod_name = Module.concat(MyProject.Pages, page)

Module.create(
      mod_name,
      quote do
        def render(assigns) do
          :ok
        end
      end,
      line: 1,
      file: "no_file.exs"
    )

When I run this code (inside a handle_params function from a LiveView) I get this CompileError:

error: cannot invoke remote function Phoenix.Component.Declarative.__pattern__!/2 inside a match
└─ no_file.exs:1: MyProject.Pages.TestPage.render/1

What does it mean?
Am i missing something?

My code seems pretty simple, but still, it does not work.
I’m not a macro expert, maybe there is something I misunderstood.

When I try the same code with no argument for the render function, it works.
But as soon as I add an argument, it fails.

Thank you for your help

Showing Posts 1 to 8

D4no0

D4no0

Where are you calling this from? Also why you are using the .exs extension that is for scripts?

FabienHenon

FabienHenon OP

I’m calling it from a handle_params function from a live view.

I used exs extension for no particular reason. I figured out the file option was only for debugging purposes

D4no0

D4no0

Yeah, so liveview render callbacks are kinda special, they are supposed to return a template, not an atom as in your case.

Without a specific example of how you are using it, it will be hard to determine what you are doing incorrectly. It does seem like you are missing a huge amount of prerequisites, like imports for views/liveviews/components, etc. in your module declaration.

FabienHenon

FabienHenon OP

I tried my module generation code somewhere else (outside the liveview), and it’s working.
Why is that?

What I’m trying to do is to generate my own liveviews dynamically at runtime.

Here is the full code of my generator:

def gen(page) do
    options = [
      engine: Phoenix.LiveView.TagEngine,
      caller: __ENV__,
      indentation: 2,
      file: "common_view.html.heex",
      line: 1,
      source: "common_view.html.heex",
      tag_handler: Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLEngine
    ]

    r = EEx.compile_file("lib/my_project_web/live/test_renderer_live/common_view.html.heex", options)

    mod_name = Module.concat(MyProjectWeb.TestRenderertLive.Pages, page)

    Module.create(
      mod_name,
      quote do
        def my_render(assigns) do
          unquote(r)
        end
      end,
      line: 1,
      file: "no_file.exs"
    )
  end

The idea is to call this my_render function in a generic LiveView using render_with.

The compilation of the HEEx template is working fine. I tried to execute Code.eval_quoted with the compiled template code and it’s working (it’s returning the expected Phoenix.LiveView.Rendered struct).

But when I try to set this compiled template inside my generated my_render function, I have another CompileError:

error: undefined variable "assigns"
└─ no_file.exs:1: MyProjectWeb.TestRenderertLive.Pages.TestPage.my_render/1

But assigns exists. It’s in the my_render function arguments.

The compiled template returns an AST in which the assigns variable is used this way (AST):

{:assigns, [], nil}

Is there something I can do to make my assigns variable visible to the compiled template?


I know my use case could be done a different way using eval_quoted in a “normal” render function, like this:

def handle_params(%{"page" => page}, _url, socket) do
    options = [
      engine: Phoenix.LiveView.TagEngine,
      caller: __ENV__,
      indentation: 2,
      file: "#{page}.html.heex",
      line: 1,
      source: "#{page}.html.heex",
      tag_handler: Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLEngine
    ]

    r = EEx.compile_file("lib/my_project_web/live/test_renderer_live/#{page}.html.heex", options)

    {:noreply,
     socket
     |> assign(:page, page)
     |> assign(:renderer, r)}
  end

def render(assigns) do
    {res, _bindings} =
      Code.eval_quoted(assigns.renderer, [assigns: assigns],
        line: 1,
        file: "#{assigns.page}.html.heex"
      )

    res
  end

But I’m trying the compiled way to optimize speed. I’d like to benchmark the 2 approches.

So I’d like to be able to compile a custom render function that contains the compiled template, and use it directly when the page is asked, instead of compiling the template at every page load.

D4no0

D4no0

Not sure what the endgame is, however phoenix does template compilation and caching out of the box, the only thing that always happens at runtime is template evaluation, which you want to be at runtime.

If you want to render a template at runtime, all you have to do is declare it correctly, this is the code you want to generate:

defmodule MyLiveview do
  use Phoenix.LiveView

  def render(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <p>Hello, <%= @name %>!</p>
    """
  end
end

This is a generic example, it’s crucial that you use the heex sigil, otherwise you lose critical features of liveview templates, like change tracking.

If you decide to go lower level for whatever reason, it’s up to you to implement everything phoenix liveivew heex engine does for you, which I don’t recommend unless your scope is to use the templating engine for something else besides liveview.

FabienHenon

FabienHenon OP

I can try that, thank you.

I just thought it would be easier and proper the way I tried to do it:

  • Compile the template (exactly what the ~H sigil does) to AST
  • Generate my module and function, with the AST of the template inside (like using the ~H inside the render function)

But just for my understanding:

  • do you know why my code did not work and was complaining about the unknown assigns variable?
  • do you know why I had a cannot invoke remote function Phoenix.Component.Declarative.__pattern__!/2 inside a match error when I was trying to generate the function with an argument inside a liveview? (and why it was working when the function had no argument or when the generation code was moved to another module?)

These errors are very strange for me and I’d like to understand them

frankdugan3

frankdugan3

Try this in your macro:

def my_render(var!(assigns)) do
FabienHenon

FabienHenon OP

Thank you it solved my compile error!

I set your answer as the solution but answers from both of you helped me

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews