fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I’m trying to build a loop in an EEx template that may have to iterate over a list OR a map (i.e. loop over its keys/values) and include an index (yes, I know that’s a lot).

So far, my EEx template looks like this:

The start...
<%= Enum.with_index(list)
|> Enum.map(fn {x, index} ->
    case x do
      {k, v} -> %>
        <%= k %> <%= v %>: @index: <%= index %>
    <% x -> %>
          <%= x %>: @index: <%= index %>
    <% end %>
<% end) %>
...The end.

But that results in an error:

** (TokenMissingError) nofile:12: missing terminator: end (for "fn" starting at line 3)
    lib/eex/compiler.ex:101: EEx.Compiler.generate_buffer/4
    lib/eex/compiler.ex:54: EEx.Compiler.generate_buffer/4
    lib/eex.ex:199: EEx.eval_string/3
    my_file.exs:37: (file)

A simpler EEx template works:

The start...
<%= Enum.with_index(list)
|> Enum.map(fn {x, index} -> %>
      <%= x %>: @index: <%= index %>
<% end) %>
...The end.

but that one only handles lists. I think I’m getting stuck on where exactly I’m allowed to break in and out of Elixir code within an EEx template. The basic logic works when it’s not in EEx.

Thanks for any pointers!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

patrickdm

patrickdm

Hello, I’d try to simplify it by moving the function to the view module, using string interpolation, i.e. (disclaimer: untested code ahead..)

def eval_item(x, index) do
  case x do
    {k, v} -> 
      "#{k} #{v} : @index: #{index}"
    val ->
      "#{val} : @index: #{index}"
    end
end

or with two functions using pattern matching on arguments (that I prefer as I find it easier to read):

def eval_item({k, v} = x, index), do: "#{k} #{v} : @index: #{index}"

def eval_item(x, index), do: "#{x} : @index: #{index}"

then in the template you could just:

<%= Enum.with_index(list) |> Enum.map(&eval_item/2) %> 

hth.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

I would even go further and put all logic in a helper function. Putting logic in the template is not something I would advise.

Somehing like

<%= do_something(list) %> 
patrickdm

patrickdm

yes, good advice! :slight_smile:

[..edit..] Putting all together would look like:

in template.html.eex

<%= iterate_over(list) %> 

in template_view.ex

def iterate_over(list) do
 list
 |> Enum.with_index()
 |> Enum.map(&eval_item/2)
end

defp eval_item({k, v} = _x, index), do: "#{k} #{v} : @index: #{index}"

defp eval_item(x, index), do: "#{x} : @index: #{index}"
fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

These are good suggestions, but I’m not sure how to implement these inside of a template where the user’s formatting string (i.e. the template itself) needs to be referenced in the function (rather than the hard-coded example strings like "#{k} #{v} : @index: #{index}"

I might have to go meditate a bit more at the altar of Enum…

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

I figured out a solution based on your suggestions… I just had to jiggle my EEx tags around. There was an important caveat I had to consider here that makes it a better solution to have this logic done in the template – it has to do with a Handlebars parser I’m writing: GitHub - fireproofsocks/zappa: Elixir implementation of the Handlebars template language · GitHub

In the below example, both the list or map input options work:

      input = ["apple", "boy", "cat"]
      input = %{x: "xray", y: "yellow"}
      eex = ~s"""
          <ul>
          <%= Enum.with_index(list) |> Enum.map(fn({x, index}) -> %>
              <%= if is_tuple(x) do %>
                <% {k, v} = x %>
                <li><%= k %>: <%= v %></li>
              <% else %>
                <% this = x %>
                <li><%= this %></li>
              <% end %>
            <%= end) %>
          </ul>
      """

      out = EEx.eval_string(eex, list: input)

Yes, that looks awful, but this structure will work in my weird use-case.

Ninigi

Ninigi

<% %> doesn’t work like that (been there tried that :slight_smile:), and you can simplify the map/case by pattern matching in the function signatures.

untested:

<%= Enum.with_index(list) |> Enum.map(fn
  {{k, v}, index} ->
    "#{k} #{v}: @index: #{index}"
  {x, index} ->
    "#{x}: @index: #{index}"
end) %>
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews