producer123
Hi all.
I just started a full-time job as a Elixir developer
.
Previously I worked mostly with Ruby stack and we used a lot Procfile with foreman 5 to start complex applications (e.g. I need to start one job worker, front-end server and the application itself).
Didn’t find anything like this for Elixir projects. Maybe you have tips and/or suggestions how you solve?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
I have no clue what a Procfile is, but usually I’d start services via systemd and let it handle dependencies as well.
In development its of course a bit different, there I’d have a script which kicks off and shuts down a bunch of docker containers for external services.
Also as long as your other stuff is running on the BEAM itself, you can add them as dependency and they will be started by the BEAM during your Apps start up process.
If I actually got your question wrong, please refine
Qqwy
I do the same thing: systemd to start the BEAM, and all other things are applications included in the BEAM so they don’t need to be started themselves.
If you have a lot of dependencies outside of Elixir (i.e. you do have to use Redis, an NPM server to serve a web-application that includes server-side rendering, and you have an SQL database) then I think any existing tooling should work well; what would an elixir-specific tool for something like this add?
OvermindDL1
I use a PIDFile with systemd to handle the server personally. I have full handling, restarting, etc… working well.
NobbZ
Okay, I now had some time to spare and google, and I learned that a
procfileis specific to heroku, so if you want to stick to heroku, you’ll have no other option than to continue using this procfile…OvermindDL1
Heh, explains why I’ve not heard of it then… ^.^;
Is it anything like a pidfile or is it something else?
NobbZ
Dunno, haven’t continue reading after reaching the word “heroku” in googles definition box, which said this:
and linked to:
OvermindDL1
Ah, so not related to a PIDFile at all, it is more like a systemd file, except with almost none of the capabilitites (???).
NobbZ
On a quick glance, it seems to be a flat yaml (only one level) where the keys are your node/dyno names and the values are a single command to run to start your server on that node/dyno.
hassan
Not remotely true. At the very least, it’s used by
GitHub - ddollar/foreman: Manage Procfile-based applications · GitHub
and its ports in various languages.
NobbZ
As I said, I never used one before. but on a quick google it looked like it were like described.