mazzie
I wanted to know what is the time complexity of Enum.random and Enum.shuffle.
More specifically i wanted to figure out if I want to select 50 random values from a possible set of 10,000 values, will it be faster to shuffle the list and then take first 50 elements or select random elements 20 times
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
minhajuddin
The shuffle implementation is straightforward. It creates assigns a random number to each list element and then sorts them and returns the result: elixir/lib/elixir/lib/enum.ex at main · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub
Enum.randomdepends onEnum.take_randomwhich seems to creates a map with all the elements and takes a few of them.To answer your question, you should run a few benchmarks using benchee to decide which one to use. If you want multiple random elements use
Enum.take_random(enumerable, count)instead of runningEnum.randommultiple times.NobbZ
Random on a range is O(1), all other enumerables are O(n).
mazzie
So 20 times Enum.random() will still run in constant time but Enum.shuffle and then Enum.slice() will take O(n). Am I correct?
NobbZ
If and only if you use a
Rangeas input forEnum.random/1you will get get your result in constant time.But you also have to remember that there are differences between both versions of code:
pick20a/1might return some elements multipletimes, whilepick20b/1won’t, alsopick20bwill never return more elements than your input has: