Sebb
I can do:
if true, do: :foo, else: :bar
and:
if true do
:foo
else
:bar
end
And I can do:
for i <- 0..3, do: {i, i+i}, into: %{}
but not:
for i <- 0..3 do
{i, i+i}
into
%{}
end
![]()
why is that?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
Because
elsegot special treatment to ease user experience. This sugar is not available for any other atom outside the small set of predefined ones (else,rescue,catch, andafter).Sebb
So I can’t use
into,uniq,reducein afor ... endblock?josevalim
You can, you have to pass them before the do.
chungwong
and:
are different, although they look similar.
The first form is actually a
ifmacro accepting two arguments.And to make the second form works, we need a
intomacro which I don’t think we have it.hauleth
That is not true. Both are exactly the same thing for the compiler:
lud
Yes they are the same. A
doblock after a call adds the[do: ...]argument to the function/macro call on the left.So if you call this (notice the parentheses for the
ifcall)The compiler kind of rewrites it to
if(a == 1, [do: :ok])This works for functions too:
This will output the following:
But as
myfun/2is a function and not a macro, the block is evaluated before being passed to the function, hence you see[do: 3], whereas with macros the quoted block is passed. This syntactic sugar is then less useful for functions.The
formacro is special, because if you passinto: %{}, do: stuff(), thedoandintoare in the same keyword list ; if you passinto: %{}and then ado endblock, the compiler will add another argument to thefor()call, containing just thedoblock:I guess that is why
foris defined inKernel.SpecialFormsas an error because it is handled at the compiler level.hauleth
Well, no. It is still consistent behaviour among all other calls:
There are 2 reasons why
foris special form and not “regular” macro:<<a <- binary>>syntax need special handlingSo all of the above forces the Elixir to treat
foras a “special thing” within parser itself.lud
I don’t understand to what you say “no”.
I mean in your example it calls two different
foofunctions. Theforconstruct handles that in a special way, there are not several definitions forforto my knowledge in the Elixir code.hauleth
As I said, it is literally impossible to define
forin Elixir. I meant thatdo: 10anddo … endaren’t really treated differently just forfor, but the same rules applies to all calls.foris special form not because ofdobut because eachx <- yis separate argument, sofor i <- 1..10, do: iis 2-ary function andfor i <- 1..10, j <- 1..10, do: i + jis 3-ary function. So eitherforwould need to have N different heads and just fail in case if someone would like to use more than that, then it would fail (see older Rust compilers to see that problem, thereDebugis defined only up to 32-ary tuples, as there is no variadic generics). Due that problemforandwithmust be defined as special forms, because they require parser magic to be then expanded properly.lud
Ok so it is not defined as a special form just for the arity problem, but otherwise it is just what I said, basically it is a special form because it requires special treatment at the compiler level.