grantwest

grantwest

If I have nested structures, and I want to fetch a field from the a nested structure, but handle a nil case, is there a succinct way to do that? Lets say I have a Project struct which has a client field, which is itself a struct that has field name:

project = %Project{}
name = project.client.name

This works, but if client is nil we get an error. If these were maps I could do

name = get_in(project, [:client, :name]) || ""

Now we get the name if it exists, or we have an empty string. This does not work with structs because they don’t implement access. Is there a similarly concise solution for structs?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

codeanpeace

codeanpeace

Hmm, pattern matching comes to mind…

For example, pattern matching via a case statement:

project = %Project{...}

name = case project do
  %{client: %{name: name}} -> name
  _ -> ""
end

# as one liners
name = case project, do: (%{client: %{name: name}} -> name; _ -> "")
name = case project do %{client: %{name: name}} -> name; _ -> "" end

Or alternatively, pattern matching via function heads:

project = %Project{...}
name = get_name(project)

defp get_name(%{client: %{name: name}}, do: name
defp get_name(_project), do: ""
BradS2S

BradS2S

You can also use a combination of the Kernel.get_in/2 function and the Access.key/2:
name = get_in(project, [Access.key(:client), Access.key(:name)]) || “”

But I think pattern matching is always best first option

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

It may be heretical but for all of my ecto structs at least we just went ahead and implemented the Access behavior functions so that we can just use access normally. The ergonomics are really nice.

cmo

cmo

I do the same. There are a couple of projects on hex that you can use: accessible and another I can’t remember, or roll your own.

trisolaran

trisolaran

You can use Access.key/2 (or Access.key!/1):

name = get_in(project, [Access.key(:client), Access.key(:name)])
chocolatedonut

chocolatedonut

Is this then an exception to the following note from the Acess module?

Attention! While the access syntax is allowed in maps via map[key] , if your map is made of predefined atom keys, you should prefer to access those atom keys with map.key instead of map[key] , as map.key will raise if the key is missing (which is not supposed to happen if the keys are predefined). Similarly, since structs are maps and structs have predefined keys, they only allow the struct.key syntax and they do not allow the struct[key] access syntax. See the Map module for more information.

Any unforeseen downsides of your approach?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Yeah I think that moduledoc is perhaps a bit too strongly worded, because it isn’t that structs aren’t allowed to use that syntax, it’s just that it won’t work by default.

Not really, it’s worked great. In fact in particular, it works rather well with how Ecto handles associations that aren’t loaded yet. Eg:

shipment.origin_location[:customer][:name]

If you forget to Repo.preload(shipment, [origin_location: :customer]) then you get:

** (UndefinedFunctionError) function Ecto.Association.NotLoaded.fetch/2 is undefined (Ecto.Association.NotLoaded does not implement the Access behaviour.

Which is great! You didn’t load the association and so instead of treating that as just nil it errors, indicating that you need to actually load it to determine if it’s there or not.

JohnnyCurran

JohnnyCurran

How was the behavior implemented code-wise? I want to do this on our structs

krstfk

krstfk

Any time nested data access is concerned I’m partial to pathex by @hst337

I find this lib to be very convenient and well documented.

chocolatedonut

chocolatedonut

Thanks so much Ben! Really appreciate your reply. And on top of that, your approach is even better! Thanks for the example.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews