stefpankov

stefpankov

I need to use the forward macro in my application’s router only if a configuration flag is true, otherwise I don’t need to forward. I’ve set the config flag to my Endpoint and am trying to access it in the router module as such:

if MyApp.Endpoint.config(:use_sent_emails_plug, false) do
  forward "/sent-emails", Bamboo.SentEmailViewerPlug
end

However this approach throws a compilation error:

== Compilation error in file lib/my_app_web/router.ex ==
** (ArgumentError) argument error
    (stdlib) :ets.lookup(MyAppWeb.Endpoint, :use_sent_emails_plug)
    lib/phoenix/endpoint.ex:540: MyAppWeb.Endpoint.config/2
    lib/my_app_web/router.ex:4: (module)
    (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:680: :erl_eval.do_apply/6
    (elixir) lib/kernel/parallel_compiler.ex:229: anonymous fn/4 in Kernel.ParallelCompiler.spawn_workers/7

Thanks in advance for any help and insight.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

@stefpankov The config function you’re calling is designed to allow for dynamic runtime configuration, and errors if you call it at compile time.

If you don’t need to change the value at runtime you should just access the config value directly:

if Application.get_env(:my_app, MyApp.Endpoint)[:use_sent_emails_plug] do
  # etc
end

I’d probably move it out from under Endpoint at that point as well since it isn’t really part of the official endpoint config.

stefpankov

stefpankov OP

I had the mail adapter be configurable at run-time in the releases.exs config file, however i couldn’t really find a way to use that configuration in the router. After a lot of digging I figured out the whole compile time vs. run-time configuration and realized that there’s really no need for me to configure the mail driver at run-time so now for production I configure the mail driver with an env variable and it can be either local or sendgrid for different target environments.

So now the check looks like this:

if Application.get_env(:my_app, MyApp.Mailer)[:adapter] == Bamboo.LocalAdapter do
  forward "/sent-emails", Bamboo.SentEmailViewerPlug
end
arcanemachine

arcanemachine

This page is the top Google result for “phoenix conditional router forward”, so I’ll just leave a decently thorough answer that will hopefully help whoever bumps into this thread. (I’ll be honest: It’s probably gonna be me in 6 months! :sweat_smile:)


To forward a request to one of several different routers in Phoenix, do this:

  1. Forward the matching path in your router:

lib/your_project_web/router.ex

  scope "/" do
    pipe_through :api

    forward "/", YourProjectWeb.Plugs.ConditionalRequestForwarder
  end
  1. Create a plug that matches and dispatches to the appropriate router based on your condition:

lib/your_project_web/plugs/conditional_request_forwarder.ex

defmodule YourProjectWeb.Plugs.ConditionalRequestForwarder do
  @behaviour Plug

  def init(opts), do: opts

  def call(%Plug.Conn{} = conn, _opts) do
    case conn.params["some_param"] do
      nil -> YourProjectWeb.SomeRouter.call(conn, [])
      _ -> YourProjectWeb.SomeOtherRouter.call(conn, [])
    end
  end
end

And that’s how you can conditionally forward a request to one of several possible routers! :tada:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews