Conditional in Ecto.query

my original syntax :

result =
  Enum.map(
    from(Repo, where: ^whitelisted_params)
    |> where([schema], like(schema.nama, ^"#{nama}%"))
    |> limit(^query_limit)
    |> Repo.all(),
    fn elem ->
      elem |> Map.from_struct() |> Map.delete(:__meta__)
    end
  )

i want to add where([schema], like(schema.tgl, ^tgl)) if a conditional are true

tried :

result =
  Enum.map(
    from(Repo, where: ^whitelisted_params)
    |> where([schema], like(schema.nama, ^"#{nama}%"))
    |> (fn(n) -> tgl != "" |> where([schema], like(schema.tgl, ^tgl)) || "" end).()
    |> limit(^query_limit)
    |> Repo.all(),
    fn elem ->
      elem |> Map.from_struct() |> Map.delete(:__meta__)
    end
  )

error :

protocol Ecto.Queryable not implemented for true, the given module does not exist. This protocol is implemented for: Atom, BitString, Ecto.Query, Ecto.SubQuery, Tuple

thank you !

1 Like
|> (fn(n) -> tgl != "" |> where([schema], like(schema.tgl, ^tgl)) || "" end).()``

looks to me that you were trying to do something like this

|> (fn(query) -> 
     case tgl do
        "" -> query 
        _ -> where(query, [schema], like(schema.tgl, ^tgl))
     end
   end).()
7 Likes

Yep, this is a pattern I use super often. I keep meaning to find a way to pipeline it better, but I just tend to have long repeated sets of this small ā€˜mutationā€™ chunks (copy/pasted from my sources):

query =
      case refine do
        [pidm: pidm] when is_integer(pidm) -> where(query, [s], s.spriden_pidm == ^pidm)
        [pidm: pidms] when is_list(pidms) ->  where(query, [s], s.spriden_pidm in ^pidms)
        [cnum: cnum] when is_binary(cnum) ->  where(query, [s], s.spriden_id == ^cnum)
        [cnum: cnums] when is_list(cnums) ->  where(query, [s], s.spriden_id in ^cnums)
        [id: id] when is_binary(id) ->        where(query, [s], s.spriden_id == ^id)
        [id: ids] when is_list(ids) ->        where(query, [s], s.spriden_id in ^ids)
        [] -> query
      end

Obviously I donā€™t use the formatter because it absolutely destroys the readability of theseā€¦ I wish it could be fixedā€¦ :frowning:

3 Likes

thank you all for the response, before the answer from @peerreynders and @OvermindDL1 i use cond with multiple Ecto.Query condition :frowning:

1 Like

I often have code like that:

Enum.reduce(opts, base_query, fn 
  {:category, category}, query -> from a in query, where: a.category == ^category
  {:tag, tag}, query -> from a in query, where: a.tag == ^tag
  _, query -> query
end)
2 Likes

Oh I have a TON of that too! Also a super common pattern, though my bodies in it tend to be many pages large to handle all the various options that it has when I use it so I figured it would make for an annoying example here. ^.^;

squery =
      Enum.reduce(refine, squery, fn
        {:pidm, a}, squery when a in [true, :all] ->
          join(
            squery,
            :inner,
            [course, section, dept],
            student_course in DB.Banner.SFRSTCR,
            student_course.sfrstcr_term_code == section.ssbsect_term_code and
              student_course.sfrstcr_crn == section.ssbsect_crn
          )

{:pidm, pidm}, squery when is_integer(pidm) ->

And so forth (these ones are formatted with the formatter due to their huge size).

Whenever I have a conditional in a pipeline (which happens all the time) I just write a separate private function, so in your pipeline it would look like this:

|> maybe_filter_by_tgl(schema, tgl)

Then a separate function:

defp maybe_filter_by_tgl(query, schema, tgl) do
  if tgl != "", do: where(query, [schema], like(schema.tgl, ^tgl)), else: query
end

This is exactly the same as the anonymous function technique from @peerreynders responseā€¦ for some reason I just find it easier to read (personal preference).

4 Likes

The issue then is having to carry a rather massive amount of state through, the examples I gave above are trivial compared to a lot of the conditionals, in addition it means Iā€™d have to jump all over a file to see what the values can be instead of just looking at a single function linearly.

Personally Iā€™m solidly in the private function camp - however in this case only a nudge seemed to be asked for - not a possible lecture from the ā€œstyle policeā€.

I find discontinuities in the pipe chain increase the cognitive load when reading the code.

3 Likes

Ingenious, thanks for sharing.

1 Like