danj
I wanted to share this code for a problem that regularly comes up and that I usually solve with multi-headed functions or with clauses. The issue: handling an error tuple in a pipeline situation by skipping steps.
Here’s the code: (Important: There’s a bug in this macro, see below)
defmacro left ~> right do
quote do
case unquote( left ) do
{ :error, _ } = err -> err
val -> unquote( Macro.pipe( left, right, 0 ) )
end
end
end
Which makes possible a pipeline that looks like:
start_value
|> step_a
~> step_b
~> step_c
|> step that handles { :error, _ } or a real result
Any thoughts on this approach?
Dan
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
That’s pretty common, what what the
exceptionallibrary on hex.pm does (it handles raw values, tagged ok/error tuples, returning exceptions, multiple styles of handling errors, etc…). I use it quite a lot.mudasobwa
While
exceptionallibrary is great, this partucular issue is fully covered by Elixir coreKernel.SpecialForms.with/1.danj
This seems to fix the problem:
danj
This is the
Kernel.|>/2macro sequence. It felt a little unsatisfying knowing it translates into Macro.pipe. With a little more time and testing it seems to cleanly reduce to:A simple test looking like:
The code printing comes from an inline Macro.to_string( ast ) for illustration. The code shows backward since the unpipe rolls the pipe up in reverse while nesting.
This is the error tuple scenario: