marcuslankenau

marcuslankenau

Hello,

I’m currently in the process of rewriting parts of a Phoenix application. The frontend is primarily a React single-page app, but we’re transitioning to LiveView. To ensure a smooth rollout, I’d like to migrate specific pages from React to LiveView for a small subset of users first.

At the moment, we’re using a URL prefix approach — for example, /live/entity/123 instead of /entity/123. However, many of our links (e.g., from emails or external systems) point to the original /entity/123 routes, and updating all those references isn’t feasible.

Ideally, I’d like to implement a mechanism in the router that conditionally serves either the LiveView or the React SPA based on a value in the session or assigns (e.g., a feature flag or user group).

Is this kind of conditional routing possible in the Phoenix router? I couldn’t find a clear way to do it. Alternatively, are there other recommended approaches to handle this kind of progressive migration?

Thanks in advance!

Showing Posts 1 to 1

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

The router cannot do so. All the router looks at to decide on a route is method, path segments and hostname – as becomes obvious here: Phoenix.Router — Phoenix v1.8.0-rc.3

You could however dig into implementation details and wrap Phoenix.LiveView.Plug – which is the plug used with the Phoenix.LiveView.Router.live macro – and however you make your react frontend work and let that wrapping plug decide on either or for a given path.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews