csmetz

csmetz

Hello!

My team has recently switched to Elixir 1.15, but we are facing issues with hiding logs in tests.

Previously, we used to pass the capture_log: true option to ExUnit.start in the test_helper.exs:

ExUnit.start(capture_log: true)

That way we avoid having the console flooded with logs when running our test suite (which contains hundreds of tests), but they are still displayed when a test fails. Since Elixir 1.15 though, we started having some logs leaking despite that option. We noticed that they came from the on_exit handlers, that run in a different process than the main test process.

Following a suggestion from José Valim, I am trying to disable logging for the console instead:

# Configure the general log level. This way logs are produced, captured,
# and displayed whenever a test fails
Logger.configure(level: :debug)

# Configure the console log level to none, so that logs are not displayed while
# running tests
Logger.configure_backend(:console, level: :none)

That works fine, but according to the doc of configure_backend/2: This function is deprecated. Use LoggerBackends.configure/2 from :logger_backends dependency.

But I am struggling to use this new dependency. I could find very little information about it and no example of repository that uses it. I tried to follow what I could understand from the documentation. I tried calling LoggerBackends.configure(LoggerBackends.Console, level: :none) but I get:

** (exit) exited in: :gen_event.call(LoggerBackends, LoggerBackends.Console, {:configure, [level: :none]})
    ** (EXIT) no process: the process is not alive or there's no process currently associated with the given name, possibly because its application isn't started
    (stdlib 5.1) gen_event.erl:469: :gen_event.call1/3
    test/test_helper.exs:1: (file)

Am I missing something? Would anyone have more information about how to use LoggerBackends?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews