jonbirke0927

jonbirke0927

Hello everyone,

When using the phoenix generators to create a new context (i.e. mix phx.gen.context ContextName SchemaName table_name column_name:column_type), I continually run into an issue where the default schema being used in the new module is Ecto.Schema. The below code is an example of the code that would be generated using the command above:

defmodule MyApp.ContextName.SchemaName do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset
  ...
end

My question is: is there a way to set the default schema to MyApp.Schema, instead of Ecto.Schema? If any app specific schema configurations have been implemented (such as primary_keys defaulting to uuid instead of integer_id), the generated schema will throw errors when you try to use it. It winds up being one of those problems that you don’t fix until you remember that you forgot to change use Ecto.Schema to use MyApp.Schema.

Thanks in advance!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

Matt

Matt

Hey Jonathan,

When you run a generator like phx.gen.context the content is obtained from a template. You can find the template in Phoenix’s source at /priv/templates/phx.gen.schema/schema.ex. When the generator is run, there is dynamic content generated such as the module name, fields, etc. But use Ecto.Schema is not a dynamically generated. Check it out:

# /priv/templates/phg.gen.schema/schema.ex

defmodule <%= inspect schema.module %> do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset
<%= if schema.prefix do %>
  @schema_prefix :<%= schema.prefix %><% end %><%= if schema.binary_id do %>
  @primary_key {:id, :binary_id, autogenerate: true}
  @foreign_key_type :binary_id<% end %>
  schema <%= inspect schema.table %> do
<%= for {k, v} <- schema.types do %>    field <%= inspect k %>, <%= Mix.Phoenix.Schema.type_and_opts_for_schema(v) %><%= schema.defaults[k] %><%= Mix.Phoenix.Schema.maybe_redact_field(k in schema.redacts) %>
<% end %><%= for {_, k, _, _} <- schema.assocs do %>    field <%= inspect k %>, <%= if schema.binary_id do %>:binary_id<% else %>:id<% end %>
<% end %>
    timestamps()
  end

  @doc false
  def changeset(<%= schema.singular %>, attrs) do
    <%= schema.singular %>
    |> cast(attrs, [<%= Enum.map_join(schema.attrs, ", ", &inspect(elem(&1, 0))) %>])
    |> validate_required([<%= Enum.map_join(schema.attrs, ", ", &inspect(elem(&1, 0))) %>])
<%= for k <- schema.uniques do %>    |> unique_constraint(<%= inspect k %>)
<% end %>  end
end

You can check out the above source here.

So, to answer your question:

There is no configuration variable or command line argument that will achieve what you’re looking for. Some of your options may be:

  • Edit as you generate,
  • Automate the changes within your editor or a command line program like sed, or
  • Clone Phoenix and then edit the templates. You can then generate/move your project as you would if creating a project from an unreleased version. ← this seems messy to me.

If I was in your position, I would create an interactive Emacs command to take care of renaming Ecto.Schema to MyApp.Schema after generating a schema.

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

I vaguely remember that you can copy the Phoenix source file /priv/templates/phx.gen.schema/schema.ex to your own project and edit the file and this version will be used by the generators.

I couldn’t find docs, but I dug a bit deeper into the source and found that the helper module for the Phoenix generator tasks includes this function phoenix/lib/mix/phoenix.ex at v1.5.11 · phoenixframework/phoenix · GitHub

Which suggests you can copy the schema.ex, make your edit and future generators will use it. It’s worth a try.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews