Koszal

Koszal

The bash script below generates and umbrela project (mix new --umbrella logcfg) and then an app (mix new demo). It then creates a task and adjusts config for the :default logger. Finally, everything is compiled and the generated task runs. (mix hello). Despite setting :type and :filesync_repeat_interval in the config, the logger still sees the default values:

19:07:52.772 [warning] config.type :standard_io
19:07:52.773 [warning] config.type :no_repeat

Why?
Elixir 1.15.7 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 26)

Koszal

#!/bin/bash

mkdir /tmp/logger-$$
cd    /tmp/logger-$$

mix new --umbrella logcfg
cd logcfg

dsn=`pwd`

cd $dsn/apps
mix new demo

mkdir -p $dsn/apps/demo/lib/mix

cat <<TASK > $dsn/apps/demo/lib/mix/hello.ex
defmodule Mix.Tasks.Hello do
  use Mix.Task
  require Logger

  def run(_) do
    :logger.get_handler_config(:default) |> IO.inspect()

    {:ok, lcfg} = :logger.get_handler_config(:default)
    Logger.warning( "config.type #{ inspect(lcfg[:config][:type]) }" )
    Logger.warning( "config.filesync_repeat_interval #{ inspect(lcfg[:config][:filesync_repeat_interval]) }" )
  end
end
TASK

cat <<CONFIG >> $dsn/config/config.exs
config :logger, :default,
  config: [
    type: :standard_error,
    filesync_repeat_interval: 5000
  ]
CONFIG

cd $dsn
mix compile
mix hello
pwd

Showing Posts 1 to 8

cmo

cmo

Do you need to configure default_handler, not default?

Here is a working config for file logging:

config :logger, :default_handler,
  config: [
    filesync_repeat_interval: 5000,
    file_check: 5000,
    max_no_bytes: 10_000_000,
    max_no_files: 5,
    compress_on_rotate: false,
    file: ...
  ]
Koszal

Koszal OP

I had tried that before (and a few other things) and it still said

06:42:06.040 [warning] config.filesync_repeat_interval :no_repeat

So you either have an older Elixir version (there were changes to the logging mechanism), or it does not work in the context of the task, or there is something else I don’t understand…

Have you run the bash script after changing default to default_handler? What does it print?

K.

cmo

cmo

I’m in 1.16.3 and sorry but I won’t be running your bash script.

hauleth

hauleth

If you are using OTP 24+ and you aware of the consequences, then you can run logger:reconfigure/0 as part of your startup script. In general default handler is only partially configurable after it started.

Koszal

Koszal OP

You seem to apply I need some black magic whereas in fact I just want to figure out how to configure basic properties of the logger.

I have followed Elixir documentation at

It tells you to put the settings in config/config.exs and gives a snippet of code.

My current config is

config :logger, :default_handler,
  config: [
    file: ~c"/home/kos/elixir-demo.log",
    type: :standard_error,
    filesync_repeat_interval: 4000,
    file_check: 5000,
    max_no_bytes: 10_000_000,
    max_no_files: 5,
    compress_on_rotate: true
  ]

I have also tried config at the application level:

config :demo, :logger, [
  {:handler, :file_log, :logger_std_h, %{
     config: %{
       file: ~c"/home/kos/elixir-demo.log",
       type: :standard_error,
       filesync_repeat_interval: 300,
       file_check: 5000,
       max_no_bytes: 10_000_000,
       max_no_files: 5,
       compress_on_rotate: true
     },
     formatter: Logger.Formatter.new()
   }}
]

Nothing seems to affect the logging. The log file is not created, messages appear on stdout (rather than stderr), etc.

K.

cmo

cmo

why do you have this there if you’re trying to log to a file? Have you tried removing that or using :file as per the docs?

Koszal

Koszal OP

Yes.

You can trivially check yourself - :woman_shrugging:

hauleth

hauleth

Answer adequate to your post:

I have tested, without :type field it worked perfectly.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews