sax

sax

Every time I run into an issue with dialyzer, it’s my fault. I respect that, and predict that it’s also the case here. I’m stumped with this one, though.

I’m using a with statement that may return two different matches. I use this same with statement twice. In one of the statements, dialyzer only sees the return values from one of the function calls.

If anyone has some spare moments to take a look at the code, I’d appreciate any pointers.

lib/dyd.ex:101:pattern_match
The pattern can never match the type.

Pattern:
{:error, {:invalid_toml, _error}}

Type:
{:error, :invalid_time_unit | :not_a_datetime}

Here is the offending line, pinned to a specific commit:
https://github.com/geometerio/dyd/blob/fee50b18962f0f63dfbe411b242c8c5a87f47dd7/lib/dyd.ex#L101

Here is the second usage, which does not generate any warnings:
https://github.com/geometerio/dyd/blob/fee50b18962f0f63dfbe411b242c8c5a87f47dd7/lib/dyd.ex#L136

Here is the spec that should make the statement valid:
https://github.com/geometerio/dyd/blob/fee50b18962f0f63dfbe411b242c8c5a87f47dd7/lib/dyd/manifest.ex#L41

This is with the following versions:

  • OTP: 24.2.1
  • Elixir: 1.13.3
  • Dialyxir: 1.1.0

Showing Posts 1 to 2

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

This may not be the same underlying issue, but the situation (else clauses with no_return in each fail type analysis) sounds really similar:

https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/issues/10385

or this (also linked to the same open issue):

https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/issues/7177

sax

sax OP

Cool, thanks for the links! That gives me some ideas for how I could rewrite this to avoid the condition. Fortunately it’s a CLI app rather than a library, so I can let it sit for a little while.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews